Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NTP: Challenge VIII - Portraiture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doh.

Apologies. Admittedly i just read portrait and thought id post a pic of my recent trip to India.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, this is a portrait of my daughter taken indoors next to a sliding door. I have trouble with focusing all the time. My Photographs all seem to be out of focus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You needed to use a lower f number to give a higher shutter speed
    F5.6 @ 1/20th of a sec is too slow for hand held.
    A lower f stop will give a faster shutter speed and give you a much better chance of a clear in focus photo in a low light situation like this. Cheers Garry
    I'm Garry . Pentax K5 IIs + Kx, and a bag full of other gear.
    Critique is welcome as is PP with details.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43734466@N07/

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont get it?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craggles View Post
    I dont get it?
    Sorry Craggles. I removed the post you were referring to. Spammer! who said he was in USA, but IP resolved to Vietnam, and he had commercial links in his signature. So his post (which was his very first post) was removed and he was banned and reported to our international anti spamming network. which renders his IP and email address useless on thousands of sites worldwide.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohhh lol

thought he was just having a dig at me lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krissi835 View Post
    Hi, this is a portrait of my daughter taken indoors next to a sliding door. I have trouble with focusing all the time. My Photographs all seem to be out of focus.
    I am new to photography as well I had big problems with focusing as well but it also depends on what mode are you taking pictures in and is it moving or stationary that makes a big difference. You may want to check the auto focus points is it on the subject you want to focus on what kind of gear you are using....
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Focus

Thanks for the input. I think I should use my tripod more for starters. I have recently acquired a remote for my camera (Nikon D3000) so I will be putting it to use as well. I guess its all practise practise practise and helpful comments from others with more experience. Thanks heaps.
    Krissi

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krissi835 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I think I should use my tripod more for starters. I have recently acquired a remote for my camera (Nikon D3000) so I will be putting it to use as well. I guess its all practise practise practise and helpful comments from others with more experience. Thanks heaps.
    Krissi
    If you are taking indoor photos often and the shutter speed is to low,. use a smaller f-stop number or you can increase your ISO as well. Have a read of the New To Photography guides on ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture to get an understanding of how they interact, and how YOU can control them to get better photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am slowely getting better at my portrait work. Thought I would add this one in to see what else I can do to improve.

Other then controlling the light a bit better to add some depth what more should I try?

ETA - When I was looking closely I noticed how grainy it was. I need to look at all my settings more before I shoot. I had it on ISO 800 from indoor shooting and forgot to put it back down to ISO 100 when I went outside.
    Aimee...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aimee_nipperess/
    Canon 450D with kit lenses plus all the little extras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What beautiful big blue eyes. I don't know about anyone else, but I like grainy portraits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First animal portraiture of this thread!

Dog of my boss, taken in the office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all feedback welcome

Hi,
    I took this in Bali recently. Interested in all honest feedback. I am an absolute beginner (still....)

Louise
    I'm on my L plates - the more cc the better - all PP improvements welcome - starting with a P&S and saving up for better things as my skills improve

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting picture, nice work.

Just a quick note though, where you've cropped her shirt out to make the rest black and white there are some small sections, i.e. left arm, where you can see that you've gone to far onto her shirt or left some of her skin.

Maybe make it a bit more contrasty? Darken her wrinkles a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks,
    yes its my first selective colour attempt and I learned a lot. I 'll play with the contrast.
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    i feel fairly unqualified to give feedback on portraits, but in the spirit of encouraging CC for us all, I will add a few thoughts on last couple of posts that have little or no feedback.

Eemiassim,
    This baby has a lovely face and the eyes have beautiful clarity - looks like she is looking straight into the lens. I like this. I wonder if the cropping could be worked on to make the composition in the frame more symetrical or balanced a little more. Can't comment on the grainy aspect - for me it kind of works to have babies looking just a little soft rather than overly crisp. They are so soft!

San Gabriel,
    nice looking smiling dog. I think maybe the nose is more in focus than the eyes.... might be better to focus on the eyes. nicely composed, shame about the piles of things in the background- they distract a bit - looks like a very compliant dog for a portrait.

cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, ...again..:-) I've been working on my portraits. I took this of my daughter outdoors in the evening. I used a higher ISO (800) and used on camera flash. I think I got better results this time however could someone please suggest a way to stop the glare of the sky in the background? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are 3 shots (hope it is ok to post a few at once) from a trial photoshoot I did the other week. I'm still learning, but becoming more and more happy with the results.

Any feedback at all please? I really want to push my skills to a level that I can get the odd paid job.

All photos taken on a nifty fifty with a Canon 50D. Mostly I used natural window light, but sometimes bounced a weak flash (I just can't remember if I did it in these or not).
    http://bit.ly/dnc5cT

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last one is my fav for sure.

You should think more about flash's / reflectors if you wanna get into paid work, your results will become alot better I'd say.

Great shots though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the nice comment. Just wondering how you think these photos would be improved, or what their flaws are (the obvious one is the cropping, but I was literally backed up against the far wall with a prime lens). I'm open to all constructive criticisms.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast