Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
T.....
I'm mostly looking at doing landscapes, portraits and sports...

Thanks =]
Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Once again thanks for the replies!

I dont plan to shoot in auto mode, but would a D200/300 be a little too advanced for a beginner like me?....

Rick.
In order of preference:

D300; D200; D90 because of the slightly better AF abilities, and brighter viewfinder.

D200 and D90 would be a close run thing though, and (because I use this feature so much more than I ever expected!!) D90 may have an advantage over the D200 for it's LiveView.

Sometimes for landscape shots you may need Mirror Lock Up(D300 D200) as opposed to Exposure Delay(D90 D80) as the one second delay time is insufficient. I never use exposure delay anymore on the D300, only the Mup feature.

For sports the D300 may be an advantage over the rest due to a slight better AF module.
other features of the Dxxx series compared to the Dxx are too numerous to list again, but needless to say they can come in handy when you need them.

As for starting lenses.. ATM I can't see any lens better than the Nikon 18-105VR as an all rounder, just to get you to the point where YOU will have a better understanding of which focal lengths and aperture values are important to you.
105mm is short for most sport activities though.

The way I see it is that skimping now(at this stage) will only end up costing you more in the future.

On Wed 17th, were having a meetup at StKilda pier(see the Vic/Melb Meetup thread) come along and see for yourself what each camera is 'really like' in action.
There'll be many and varied brands to peruse.(be careful tho.. you may end up lusting over a D3x and multi thousand dollar lenses.. from which there's no recovery )