Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
I invested in Lee filters.

I bought the following:

1. Lee Foundation Kit (ie, the holder);
  2. 82mm wide-angle adapter (to mount the holder to the lens);
  3. 0.6 (two-stop) 6 x 4" soft GND filter; and
  4. 0.9 (three-stop) 6 x 4" soft GND filter.

I bought all of the above from www.studiokitdirect.co.uk.

At the time (April, 2009), the UK price came to £181.25, and the amount debited by Studio Kit Direct totalled $378.67.

Locally, Vanbar wanted $577.50 for the same gear!

I steered clear of the Cokin filters, as they are known to introduce a magenta/purple colour cast. See the following image and discussion for details:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brentbat/2372603825/
It is interesting that the Cokin magenta cast issue comes up every time, but it is not common. (Yes it does happen, as your link shows), but it doesn't happen all the time. In fact I use the Z-Pro system and have seen it once, on a series of photos of a waterfall, and haven't experienced it again. (Maybe it is a quality control issue and some people get filters that do it, and others don't)

Interestingly a reasonably recent thread here on AP, found that Canon users experienced it much more often than Nikon users, which had us wondering about the mechanics of the camera's being part of the cause (possibly the filter on the front of the sensor exacerbating the cast). So we started to postulate that the cause is a combination of things, not just the filters themselves.

My conclusion is the colour cast can and does happen, but it is over represented as a reason not to buy Cokin.