I'd like to try it too.. my problem is getting to an Ikea store! I hate most stores unless they stock the D700, but that's beside the point

As for the argument of bounce direct and bounced modified or FF (fonged flash).. every situation calls for a different approach, as sometimes direct flash just looks plain awful, with bad shadows and too harsh for the required look.

The SB800(and 900) come with a diffuser dome, which then aoutomagically set the flash zoom setting to 14mm in width. So the flash aoutmatically spreads the light more evenly. Sometimes(last time at my sisters house shoot) I remember I didnt; want that, I wanted the light to be more concentrated, but still soft and diffused, and I had to adjust the elevation of the flash head, as well as slightly unclip the diffuser dome(to undo the 14mm fixed zoom setting) and it worked kind of OK.
If the Fong lightsphere thing was a lot cheaper then it'd make some sense in a price performance perspective.. but from memory it costs something like $80!!

he should write a book on how to get rich from photography! ....