Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I'm not a pro photographer who needs to sort through hundreds of images a day and I don't mind taking my time going through images one by one when I have to.
I haven't actually used Lightroom and have only seen it being used once but it looks like a very solid piece of software.
To me, the quote from your post above sums it up, if you are prepared to spend a little extra time sorting files then the 'flow of Nikon Transfer > Nikon View > Capture NX is a pretty easy and accurate way of transferring and storing shots in individually named folders before editing. The best part to me is that 'Transfer and 'View are freebies allowing you to save up for better lenses, bodies etc.

I am sure the tagging and sorting options offered by View are nowhere as sophisticated as those in Lightroom but it will always be sweeter to upgrade to a more costly option later if you decide you need it rather than to find that you have paid good money at the start for something you didn't really need in the long term.

In the end it will be your needs that determine the value of the programs on offer, a friend of mine is going down the same path at the moment, he has decided that Capture NX suits his editing needs and he already owns Lightroom, is very used to using it and reckons it does a perfect job for him.