Thread: NiMH batteries for speedlights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Energizer 2500mah rechargeables and they are pretty good in the SB80/600. I buy the 4 pack and always keep them together and never mix them with other batteries (even the same brand).

Cheers
    Leigh
    Nikon D600, 24-70, 300 VR1 2.8, Tamron 60 f2 macro + Kenko tubes. SB800.

My Nikonians Gallery

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 sets of 4 (12 Batteries) of the 2500 mAh Varta Power Accu NiMh batteries and 1 set of 4 Uniross 2500.

When shooting speedway, so low light and big expectation from the flash, I will easily get 600 shots from the Varta batteries.
    On my recent mountain trip I loaded the flash on day 1 with the Varta batteries and they were still going strong 400 shots later - Dark rainforest shooting 1/250 f8 so i again was asking a fair bit from the flash and batteries.

I changed to the uniross batteries on near to my last day simply because I was going hunting a bird (green catbird if you must know) and didn't want to have to change batteries ifthe current set went flat. Well what a waste of time the uniross batteries did not even make 200 shots with the same settings.

All batteries were freshly charged on the day before we departed for the trip, so the uniross bateries had only sat for about 7 days. Needless to say these have now been removed from the camera bag

What is the self discharge rate like for the Varta ?? No idea. I generally run all 12 through the charger the night before a trip just to be sure.

What am I saying ??
    The Varta 2700 mAh Power Accu batteries are the best rechargeable battery I have ever used and would recomend them highly.
    They run at about $19.95 for a 4 pack from your major super markets.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got 2 sets of Inca 2500mAh's that I've had for 2 years and they are still holding charge and working well.

The best set I have are Panasonic 2500mAh's I only have 4 of these, and can't seem to find them again, but they are unstoppable! I've left them fully charged for a month or more, grabbed the flash and still rattled of 100+ flash photos with no slow down in recycle times.

I've got Sony 2700mAh's in my D300 grip and on the weekend took 3000 photos over 2 days with heaps of reviewing and the battery meter still hasn't dropped to half yet!

I've not used the Sony's in a flash yet, but given their performance in the camera I would say they are going to be great. They retail for about $40-45 for 4.
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've got 3 sets of dicksmithelectronics that i think are around 2100mAh. thinking of getting the powerex or eneloops although the DSE ones haven't been too bad.
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site has some interesting stuff about rechargeable batts

http://www.users.on.net/~mhains/Reviews.html

i use the eneloops

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sixfootfour View Post
    This site has some interesting stuff about rechargeable batts
    That sure makes an interesting read, but this guy seems to test for durability - a long steady period of draining them. A speedlite asks short bursts of high current, not a steady prolongued one. Thus: YMMV.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Eneloops myself and have never had any problems with them. They usually outlast me when I'm shooting so don't really know how many shots I get from a full charge. I usually rattle off about 300+ shots or so without noticing any drop in performance.
    But the best thing about them is that whether fully charge or partially drained, they always seem to have some juice left in them after long periods without use. I guess that's how they are marketed.
    So for someone who does not use it regularly and frequently, Eneloops are definitely highly recommended.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com