Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
I just remembered that my first choice, before the Lenovo X1 Carbon was the Dell XPS 13 which is slightly more expensive (darn good laptop based on reviews though). The screens on both the Lenovo and the XPS 13 are IPS panels with high pixel density (i.e. retina using Apple terminology). IPS, as far as I know, is the best for colour and viewing angles. My main choice in choosing the laptop was the screen. My first choice was the XPS 13, based on reviews, but I had to wait 9 weeks (they're that popular!) and could get the Lenovo immediately. I am not disappointed. For my desktop computers I have a lg 27uk850 and a dell ultrasharp something. The Lenovo laptop screen is in some ways better. I just turned off calibration all my computers and... well... it's night, but the Lenovo probably looks best/closest

PS: If you're in Brisbane in the near future, give me a PM and you can come over and look at all 3 monitors (+ iPad Pro) to see the differences in the screens. They're all pretty similar. The LG is better than the iPad pro, but if I had to make a choice I'd say that, uncalibrated, the Lenovo is the best of the three (although the LG is 3840x2160 and the Lenovo is 2560x1440 the Lenovo screen size is smaller so the pixel density is probably about the same and colours looks closer to reference images before calibration). That said, I'd say you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell a difference visually without hardware (which I have) to measure differences by eye although the iPad pro's colours are worse than the others (IMO)

PPS: I just noticed that someone mentioned price. I hadn't considered that since you were initially talking about, well, Apple so considered price not an obstacle. The Lenovo X1 Carbon is not a cheap laptop. The Dell XPS 13 is slightly more expensive. The LG 27UK850 monitor for my desktop is about, hmm, maybe half the cost of the entire Lenovo X1 Carbon. Considering that I think the Lenovo screen is better in many ways, and a whole computer not just a screen, I think it's a pretty good deal.
Thanks for that extra information.

I was wondering how I'd consider the Lenovo if my son checks it out a scorptec as he isn't in to photography so his appraisal of the screen would be coming from a different direction.

Thanks for the offer to check out your units. We're in Victoria and will be heading north through Central Australia, so need to sort this out before we leave