User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Anyone know what I might have done? (Camera settings on old shots)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The idea of bracketed shots is to get a range of exposures. So you can...

1) pick the best one
    2) layer then and blend them to create one single photo with the best bits of all the exposures.

To to bracketed shots well to blend, you need the camera on a tripod or stable surface when you fire off the shots to ensure that when editing, everything aligns well.

If you can find your manual, you will find that there are a heap of settings you can use for bracketed shots. And my guess is that either the default, or someone set it, is for ISO to remain the same and shutter speed/aperture to alter to get the bracketing range. For me, bracketed shots are done with ISO and Aperture being constant and shutter speed being the variable. So to answer your question, somewhere in the camera menu will be an option related to bracketed shots, and the settings should be in there.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The idea of bracketed shots is to get a range of exposures. So you can...

1) pick the best one
    2) layer then and blend them to create one single photo with the best bits of all the exposures.

To to bracketed shots well to blend, you need the camera on a tripod or stable surface when you fire off the shots to ensure that when editing, everything aligns well.

If you can find your manual, you will find that there are a heap of settings you can use for bracketed shots. And my guess is that either the default, or someone set it, is for ISO to remain the same and shutter speed/aperture to alter to get the bracketing range. For me, bracketed shots are done with ISO and Aperture being constant and shutter speed being the variable. So to answer your question, somewhere in the camera menu will be an option related to bracketed shots, and the settings should be in there.
    Thanks Rick. That probably explains it, that it was the default settings when we got the camera.

These days the only thing I vary is also the shutter speed, mostly in Manual. Still curious what setting it was I was using back then, though. I’m assuming the Program mode, as I used to like that before I understood anything. And the camera was still more or less new then, so would still have original settings.

I’ll have to check how long I kept doing this for. Explains a lot things like, in hindsight, wondering how I (unintentionally) avoided slow shutter speeds for so long, and also the amount of noise in all my HDR output from that era. I know I was still using these settings a year or two later on a holiday in Fiji. So I didn’t learn anytime quick...

If I only knew that what I know now...