I wouldn't use 50 ISO on the D7200(for the reasons already given).
And while it's best not to go into the ISO51K, area, sometimes you'd be better off in doing so if the need arises, rather than shoot at ISO25K limit risk the shot being under exposed and losing more detail.
With high ISO, always best to expose a bit brighter than normal without clipping important highlights. If colour is lost(almost certainly will!) ... at least you can do a monochrome PP and have something of the image if it's an important moment.

In fact, IIRC, the D7200 has an ISO102K setting available, but is only a monochrome setting too.
Oops! had to fact check: ISO51K and ISO102K settings are both monochrome only!

So change my comment to use the ISO range between 100-25600 for general duties.

Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
.... there might be an e-shutter that does higher than 1/8000. What limitations this mode has I’ve not researched.
if it's anything like the D70/s, then probably of no real value. Could be different tho, as the D70 were CCD sensors, and CMOS are operationally different.
One of the handy aspects of the D70 cameras was that it could do flash sync at 1/500s, where even the top end models were limited to 1/250s(as they all still are).
But there was a catch. D70s shutter was for all intents an e-shutter. It's mechanical shutter was one of the cheapest devices Nikon could conjure up, and in reality limited to about 1/90s(apparently), the rest of the D70's shutter range was 'electronically controlled'.
(ie. up to 1/80s was all mechanical, beyond 1/100s it was partially mechanical(ie. open) and then gaited electronically giving up to 1/8000s.. quite high for a pretty low end camera!)
The idea seemed to be a great marketing tool for Nikon, but it had drawbacks. CCD are natively able to shut down the capture feed to the pixels all at the same time(hence why CCDs are no good for video).
So Nikon used that CCD 'limitation' to good effect(in terms of marketing), but in terms of high tech .. not as great as you'd think.
D70s was hopeless at shooting at super bright light sources(eg. the sun), due to this electronic shutter system.
The shutter had to be limited to below 1/80s to get an image that wasn't affected by 'sensor flare' or what's usually called 'sensor bloom' It looks like lens flare, but it's the sensor that produces it. Can't be controlled. Landscapes with the sun in the frame were usually affected by the issue.

I think I still have one image with this 'sensor bloom' issue, that I haven't zapped, but I remember a major cull of such useless images years ago.

One of the things I've wanted in a camera for a while now has been a well thought out e-shutter system, but more specifically electronic front curtain(ie. D850 is in my long term future for mainly that feature).
But I'm always weary of such features used to produce some silly marketing advantage such as ridiculous shutter speeds, just for the sake of higher numbers, and little in the way of technical competence.

.. anyhow .... what were we talking about? ..... AH!! ..... ISO range .... 100-25600