Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post

FSV - Using the SAVE/SAVE AS menu pick on the left hand menu does not work as one would expect. Just idiosyncratic.
Still confusing me as to how a simple process is deemed idiosyncratic.

Ctrl+S is the same as using the 'Save As' menu items(there are two depending on which mode you're using FSV).
There is no 'Save' menu item in FSV, nor a shortcut to 'Save'.
I think their idea behind only having a Save As option only is that you don't accidentally overwrite a file.

So use the Save As menu only brings up an dialogue box, with the file name of the file you want to save highlighted in blue.
If you hit Save at the bottom of this dialogue box, it then asks you if you're sure you want to overwrite the original file.

I can't understand why this is 'idiosyncratic' .. or confusing in any way!
Makes good sense to make sure that the operator is 101% sure that they know what they're doing.

If you are 102% sure you know exactly what you're doing you can remove the confirmation on overwrite with a simple check box in the settings .. helps to save about 0.015s during the save process.
I leave it enabled, coz sometimes I do forget to remember that last 1-2%

I'm curious now as to how that 'Save As' menu should work.

My workflow with FSV is:

Cntl+S, [Enter], [Y] .. saved.

Takes all of about 0.30s to achieve a save .. and I can speed that up to 0.15s if I uncheck the setting to confirm overwriting, ie. remove the need for the momentary internal thought process and physical second [Y] key press.

On my part tho, maybe it's just all the other programs I also use, that have a similar(maybe slightly different key to press), but overall similar process flow.
Ctrl+S, Enter, Enter or whatever .. if you're sure you want to overwrite a file.
Some other programs I regularly use do have a different shorcut key combo to open the 'Save As' option .. for example it may be Ctrl+Alt+S, or Ctrl+Shift+S .. or whatever it may have been(can't remember exactly) .. but generally don't use them.
For those types of programs, I make a Save As icon shortcut in their toobars and use that instead.
Basically trained myself to just use Cntl+S as my save process.
I think that's what bugged me about LR as much as it's insistence on cataloguing stuff I didn't need cataloguing .. and importing