Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About monitors...
    1. A 4K TV is still a "monitor".
    2. I think you can expect to see differences in the same image on different monitors.
    3. (I don't know, but) TVs may be optimised for moving images rather than stills.

General sharpening, etc...
    Well, I don't know what you think about the sharpness of my images attached to AP,
    but there is a limit to what you can expect from an initially good image.

Certainly, too much re-sampling and sharpening will shake up the image info and
    sometimes make it a worse image. For this reason I try to do as little to the image
    as possible. You might try along the lines:

-If you can crop away some of the original image, do so, then try a single re-sample
    to the desired size in pixels - 1200 on a side. (Yes, it can be SQUARE, so there is no
    need to invoke "long" side (or worse, "longest"). Use just "Bicubic" re-sampling,
    and do any sharpening afterwards. (Because you're doing a single, controlled action.)

-"Save as..." the result at jpeg quality 10* at first, then, while keeping the file OPEN,
    check the file size. If it exceeds the maximum 400KB you will have to decide between
    resampling the image down a bit more (say to 1000 pixels), or reducing the jpeg quality
    a bit more (upping the file compression) when saving.

NB: If you keep the file open, you can use the History** (of your actions) to go back and
    restore the full file info to, say, before the first re-sample. From that point you may try
    1000 pixels. Similarly for file compression when saving. If, however, you close the image
    and then reopen it, you are reworking previous work.

On other Qs (not in order)...
    No/yes/I don't know/only on Fridays after 4 PM...

*Quality 12 (maximum) usually results in pretty big file sizes. At a(n absolute) pinch I have
    gone as low as 8, which is the lowest "high" value. You can compress away fairly freely if
    your image contains lots of bland monotone, like blue sky, walls, etc, but not when there's
    a lot of detail.

**In your PS preferences, set yourself a generous number of history states, like 35-40.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An I like your enigmatic way of honestly answering questions. Back to the subject. When resizing I have three bicubic options, "Bicubic sharper Reduction", appears to be the most appropriate. I will also experiment with "Bicubic Smooth Gradients" Your detailed reply is muvh appreciated.
    regards marty.