Thread: Full Frame Camera on a budget

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    APS-C lens on full frame.

If we are going to have barrel distortion, let's do it properly.

(In fact, a fisheye doesn't distort; it simply converts three dimensions to two dimensions in a different way.)

^ Tokina 10-17mm fish at 17mm on a 5D II. Notice the lump on the upper left of the shadow at lower right. Technically, this is known as my ear. Most humans have at least one of them.

^ 16mm and it still works fine. The object at extreme lower left is my thumb, technically known as forgetting just how wide a fish can be 'coz I haven't used it for a while.

^ 15mm, still OK. (The EXIF on the 16mm shot says 15mm. I set these from the scale on the lens, so perhaps it was 15.49mm or something like that. Or maybe the scale is out a bit.)

^ 14mm and apart from the Return of the Thumb, we have vignetting.

^ 13mm. More vignetting. This lens has baffles (some felt-like material I guess) to cut down internal reflections and flare. I know that baffling is common, I don't know if all lenses do it or only some though. If the baffles were not there we would still have vignetting, but it wouldn't transition so suddenly from black to white.

^ 12mm.

^ 11mm.

^ 10mm. Sorry about all the thumbs.

As you can see, an APS-C lens does indeed work on full frame, but the usable zoom range gets the thumbs down. (This is the only non-full frame lens I have now, so no more samples. Besides, you are probably getting as bit bored with the fence by now.)
    Last edited by Tannin; 11-09-2017 at 10:39pm.