User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  34

Thread: best value telephoto lens for Nikon d5500?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'd say that he 70-200/2.8 VC from Tamron would be an ideal candidate too.

Maybe a bit long for portraits in some situations, but as you've just listed the 50mm in the mix, then the focal length won't be an issue.

Sigma 50-100/1.8 sounds like an interesting option, but I reckon they stuffed up by making it somethign like 50-100m and not more like 70-150/1.8 instead.
    Many folks already have a cheap 50/1.8 to play with so more varied options would have been a marketing advantage I guess.

100mm even on APS-C is probably just a tad short for the long end. But you can't go past that f/1.8 aperture without paying a bit of respect for it and the fact it's a zoom.

"Fun zoom options in the field" tho .. that basically screams 70-200/2.8
    I've just been out playing in the front yard in the rain with my 70-200/2.8 on the D5500, and while it's hard(no image stabilisation), that cropped reach is a bit of fun to play with again.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Be aware that there are three versions of this lens currently on offer.

- Tamron SP AF 70-200 F2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro Lens - Stay away from it

- Tamron Lens SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (IF) - The one I had, it's a ripper, and only sold to get a longer lens

- Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 - The G2 is an update of the one above and a lot dearer, but not a lot better

Make sure that it has 'VC' in the title and if you shop around you will find one for a lot less than $1700.00

Have a look here http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ld_your_camera for some tips on holding your camera. Basically you tuck your left elbow into your side and hold the lens foot in your left hand.
    Thank you!

This is why I love asking experts.

This is my $1700 in Perth. The store price match 'reputable' sellers that have AUS warranties (eg. they don't match Kogan and Amazon)

*removed - please read the site rules, in particular rule #3*

Any help suggesting other sites to search is appreciated.

thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

Have a look here http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ld_your_camera for some tips on holding your camera. Basically you tuck your left elbow into your side and hold the lens foot in your left hand.

PS> I have a physical limitation so my left hand shakes. Thus. I usually use my SLR one handed (with high shutter speed to compensate) or, preferably, set up with a tripod.

Hence the bulkier tamron telephoto lens is ok, as I use a tripod most of the time anyway.
    Last edited by ricktas; 09-09-2017 at 8:51am.