Yeah, Pz is a good resource, but you need to 'make sense' of the results, which is not a simple matter for many folks. I still use Pz for assessing potential lens purchases too.

But for less work in terms of trying to understand if the sharpness increases in one lens vs another actually means anything, I find TDP an easier resource to do comparisons with.

that is if I'm unsure if Lens A is what I really want, or Lens B is the better buy, I check Pz to see what the numbers say, but my choice is made easier by using TDP to visualise if $1K more for 0.015% increase in sharpness is actually worth it in the end.

TDP Tamron 24-70VC vs Canon 24-70MkII test charts.

To my eyes on that resolution test chart, I don't see enough increase in sharpness on the C24-70 to justify the double price tag.
To my dismay tho! .. I did see a massive difference in IQ overall between the T24-70VC and the T28-75/2.8 I'd used for a while up to my purchase of the 24-70VC.
Now I was armed with a better resolving lens for the hi res D800E .. you'd think I was a happy chappy .. but dismay kind'a almost set in a little too.

For normal shooting stuff, like inanimate objects, static scenes, landscapes and suchlike, I was happy for sure. But I just never found I was happy with it for people shots, the way I thought I was going to be.
Main issue was that reduced bokeh quality in some instances, and then after looking at the images of people made with the 24-70VC I found I was using the portrait picture control more and more to decrease contrast .. where the old hazy looking 28-75mm needed no PP at all for a similar image. 28-75 was still sharp(enough) just not as contrasty, so it made for a pleasant rendering with no need to pushing and prodding buttons on the PC later on.

At my sisters wedding a while back, I didn't consider the 24-70VC, even tho it was in the bag(always is, has it's spot). But being in a rush, I left without the 28-75/2.8(on the shelf, it's usual spot)
So in the bag my choices were 70-200/2.8(too long), 24-70VC, 50/1.2, 105/1.8 and 105/2.8 VR .. as well as a couple of others not really suited for portraits. I chose to use the 50/1.2 with the 105/1.8 as the backup if I found I wanted closer in shots.
So because of the mixed feelings about the 24-70's bokeh, poor thing didn't even rate a look in at all.

What made the 24-70VC an easy choice to buy tho was the VC, where no other lens in that genre had it. So for example walking about in the city, or through a park or something like that .. it's my first choice.
You'll read that many experts will explain that image stabilisation isn't all that useful at say 24mm or even 50m or 70mm with good use of technique ... but I'd counter they're too caught up in the numerical aspect of the feature rather than actually using it for themselves.
(ie. armchair experts that don't appreciate that you're not required to have to use VC all the time! .. there is a switch for it )
I've learned to just leave it on, and IF(big IF) I see that it's counter productive, I then turn it off. Obviously always off when on tripod tho.