Quote Originally Posted by mdj101711 View Post
should i get canon ef 16-35 f2.8 II ?
I agree with Tony – short answer: no.
I also agree with mostly all of his rationale.

. . . oh and also as 80d body is weather proof, i think it makes sense to have at least one l series lens as melbourne can be quite wet. The 80d is only weather proof if l series lens is used.
Canon's "weather sealing" requires more than just the lens and the body to be compliant: also the designated sealed lens filter and the regular replacement of the seals on the lens and camera body.

It seems you want to get the EF 16 to 35 F/2.8L MkII USM - and if that is in your heart's desire and you can't resist it, then go for it: it is a very nice and a very useful lens, more useful on 135 Format, but still a good lens to use on APS-C and APS-H Formats.

My point being that the "weather sealing" and Melbourne's weather are, in my opinion, not part of any reasonable rationale to promote the purchase of the lens for what appears to be usage where you'd never choose to go out in rain and continue shooting in the downpour anyway - what I mean is there are really not many photographers who do that.

WW

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum – I didn’t notice that this part of the OP was addressed -

. . . Was also considering on the wide angle 35mm f1.4 as it is cheaper but it would be much similar to my 50mm f1.4 (only advantage is that it is a wide angle lens on 35 mm but on aps-c i am not sure if that makes much different on visual with 50mm) . . .

When you swap DSLR lenses between differing Camera Formats, then descriptor of purpose or how the lenses are designated by their Angle of View relative to the SENSOR SIZE might change.

Hence:
> a 35mm lens when used on an APS-C camera acts as a “Normal” or “Standard” Lens
> a 50mm lens when used on an APS-C camera acts as a “Short Telephoto” Lens
> a 35mm lens when used on a 135 Format Camera (aka “Full Frame Camera”) acts as a (moderate) “Wide” or (moderate) “Wide Angle” Lens
> a 50mm lens when used on a 135 Format Camera acts as a “Normal” or “Standard” Lens

So yes there is a difference between 35mm and a 50mm lenses when they are used on an APS-C Camera, but not as much noticeable/practical difference as swapping between those two lenses on a 135 Format Camera, and that's because of differences in the Sensor size of the cameras, rather than the differences in Focal Lengths of the two Lenses.

WW