Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Re: available glass for mirrorless F-mount. At least if you believe some of the commentary its not that simple with regards to AF.
Although Nikon has demonstrated fairly good on-sensor PDAF performance in the Nikon 1 series, apparently some of the inaccuracy is hidden in the deeper DOF of the smaller sensor format.
Some other manufacturers (mainly Sony IIRC) are doing a final CDAF adjustment step after initial acquisition with on-sensor PDAF which slows down the overall performance but Nikon's F-mount lenses are supposedly not optimised for the this.
So whilst many of the focal lengths are covered, the lenses may not perform as well in a mirrorless setup.
If this was the case, who would buy a mirrorless F-mount over a DSLR F-mount?
I have no doubt there are some challenges but if it is under development, I think they're idiots for not announcing because they are haemorrhaging enthusiasts at a rapid rate and if someone is considering leaving, they are more likely to stay if they know its in development and likely to be released in 6-12 . I.e. if I wanted to move to mirrorless now and I have pro glass as a lot of enthusiasts do, I would be likely to stay if I knew Nikon would be releasing something as opposed to not knowing, which in Nikon's case could also mean they have no plans for anything, because the reality is both Nikon and Canon have been slow to look at mirrorless. Most people would probably stick around for 6-12 months than move systems.