Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
..... I don't think "most" car thieves are prepared for GPS tracking. Today most car thefts are opportunistic - stealing keys. ....
I'm not in the auto theft game, so I'm not up to speed with what the current gen are up too, and so forth.

About 20-ish+ years ago, we owned one of the early (VQ, model I think) Statesmans which was a magnet to many thieving swines!
Car was never recovered, and idiot sister who was making use of the car at the time didn't pay the insurance, so of course a complete and total loss!
The sad side of that was that she was living in St Kilda at the time! .. which is almost an open invitation to the thieves.
Anyhow, police people reckon it was an organised mob and the car was already stripped and sold off as parts most likely.

At about the same time, my other sister was owned a crappy XD falcon of much older origin, and more basic than a base model!
But again, they are so easy to break into and drive away, it was stolen by a different type of thieving swine, that took it out into the paddocks and just did burnouts for the night .. and just dumped it there.
Cops found it a few hours later(basically first thing in the morning).

I've owned basic old bombs all my driving life, and only once had to lodge a claim when some other swine broke into one of them and stole the radio(a not so particularly great radio either! )
Car never stolen, that I know of, never even tried.
Most of them had a home made isolation switch of some variation to confound anyone trying to drive off with it .. usually a switch to kill ignition, and on my Range Rover I made up an isolation switch from the battery to the starter.

I'm sure I read of heard of a new item not that long ago where there was a supposed rise in car theft of luxurious models for the purpose of exporting them to some overseas destinations .. or something like that