Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    As an aside, I do think he should have, and could have made his point without referring directly to the winner. The winner has entered in good faith, followed the rules set by others and won fair and square. I doubt that she wants to be dragged into this, she probably just wants to relish a moment of success without being told that really her work doesn't compare to a "proper photograph". No, it's not a personal attack, but it's clumsy and ill thought out in the way that Lisa has been directly referred to.
    I think the issue of generalising without referring to particular images, would have eventually had the same result. People would have asked him if he meant Lisa's images, or they would have asked him to clarify which images in particular he was referring to.

If I posted on AP and said something about particular photos entered into our comps without naming the entrant or entries, it would only be some time before someone asked me to point out which ones, or even post links to the ones they thought I was referring to.

Perhaps it is time for APPA to do away with photographer of the year, and simply stick to winners in their genre? After all being known as the APPA Landscape Photographer of the Year, or the APPA Wedding photographer of the Year, or the APPA advertising/illustrative Photographer of the Year is certainly an accolade to be proud of. And this simple move would remove the issue as being debated at present.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I think the issue of generalising without referring to particular images, would have eventually had the same result. People would have asked him if he meant Lisa's images, or they would have asked him to clarify which images in particular he was referring to.

If I posted on AP and said something about particular photos entered into our comps without naming the entrant or entries, it would only be some time before someone asked me to point out which ones, or even post links to the ones they thought I was referring to.
    Yes, you're right of course. Although my reply would be "I understand you're curious/looking for context but the issue is a general one related to ....... it is the concept of.....I do not want to bring a specific person into it because it is an issue for everyone in the industry/site to consider..."

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Perhaps it is time for APPA to do away with photographer of the year, and simply stick to winners in their genre? After all being known as the APPA Landscape Photographer of the Year, or the APPA Wedding photographer of the Year, or the APPA advertising/illustrative Photographer of the Year is certainly an accolade to be proud of. And this simple move would remove the issue as being debated at present.
    That would work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post

Ken has started up his Real Photo awards which are certainly more realistic , but even here over - photoshopping is evident.

http://kenduncanphotoawards.com/
    Unless there are more rules/definitions somewhere "minimal post -processing" isn't very clear. To someone who uses PS to the extreme "minimal post-processing" could be more than others would even dream of.

Also that third place shot by IP I really like. But I can't see how an aerial abstract (I assume that's what it is) can show a "quintessential Australian landscape". Tell me what is quintessential about that (note - synonyms of quintessential include typical, prototypical, stereotypical, archetypal, classic, model, essential, standard, stock, representative, true to type, conventional) or maybe I'm just not opening my eyes enough when I'm out walking in the countryside

it's easy to criticise isn't it..... (not aimed at anyone, just pointing out that it's hard to please everyone)
    Last edited by Hamster; 08-09-2016 at 3:01pm.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.