User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Nikon announce a 105mm f1.4E ED lens!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    LOL! you and me thinking the same things!
    I posted my thread at about the same time.
    What do they say about great minds?
    Last edited by Lance B; 28-07-2016 at 8:59am.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    What do they say about great minds?
    Ah, yes!! That they tend to think ali.. !! .... about getting the same lenses
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little surprised there's not as much excitement over this lens here on AP. Maybe the price got to everyone.
    Anyways, can we combine AK83 and Lance's threads? Much easier to have all the discussions in one place.

This lens is very high on my wanted list, even with its pricing. But as with most equipment I prefer to wait 6-12 months after launch to buy.

Like many I had initially wanted a 135mm lens but IMO a 105mm @1.4 is even better!!!
    If you subscribe to equivalence theory (which I do), it is like having a 135/1.7 at the same time with a minor crop with little sacrifice to resolution.

And I'm kinda glad they left out VR. Marianne Oelund over at DPreview has been offering some of her usual excellent commentary on the lens, as well as the impact on lens design (and likely subsequent lens character) had VR elements been incorporated.

Shooting with just a 58mm currently, this will pair very well as a more dedicated portrait lens.
    I just need Nikon to update their 28mm f1.4 lens and I'd have my personal prime trinity.

Lance dubbed the lens goldilocks. From the initial product pic leak I though it was going to be a pretty big lens so I was gonna dub it the mini-chubby. The chubby being the nickname for the 200/f2 of course.

Anyways, not long to wait for the lens to make its way into user's hands.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    A little surprised there's not as much excitement over this lens here on AP. Maybe the price got to everyone.
    Anyways, can we combine AK83 and Lance's threads? Much easier to have all the discussions in one place.

This lens is very high on my wanted list, even with its pricing. But as with most equipment I prefer to wait 6-12 months after launch to buy.

Like many I had initially wanted a 135mm lens but IMO a 105mm @1.4 is even better!!!
    If you subscribe to equivalence theory (which I do), it is like having a 135/1.7 at the same time with a minor crop with little sacrifice to resolution.

And I'm kinda glad they left out VR. Marianne Oelund over at DPreview has been offering some of her usual excellent commentary on the lens, as well as the impact on lens design (and likely subsequent lens character) had VR elements been incorporated.

Shooting with just a 58mm currently, this will pair very well as a more dedicated portrait lens.
    I just need Nikon to update their 28mm f1.4 lens and I'd have my personal prime trinity.

Lance dubbed the lens goldilocks. From the initial product pic leak I though it was going to be a pretty big lens so I was gonna dub it the mini-chubby. The chubby being the nickname for the 200/f2 of course.

Anyways, not long to wait for the lens to make its way into user's hands.
    I agree with you. It is a very exciting lens and I think Nikon has really made a brilliant decision releasing it, no one else has this focal length at this speed.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    A little surprised there's not as much excitement over this lens here on AP.
    I started out excited but quickly found out my wallet was very much underwhelmed at the prospect of being disemboweled ( further ) for a lens that while probably excellent just misses the mark by a millimetre or so in usefulness for me.
    I love my 85 / 1.4 D and will never part with it, the 70-200 does a good job as an all rounder for portraits but I would have rather seen a 135 / 2 released.
    Maybe that is still in the pipeline?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    I started out excited but quickly found out my wallet was very much underwhelmed at the prospect of being disemboweled ( further ) for a lens that while probably excellent just misses the mark by a millimetre or so in usefulness for me.
    I love my 85 / 1.4 D and will never part with it, the 70-200 does a good job as an all rounder for portraits but I would have rather seen a 135 / 2 released.
    Maybe that is still in the pipeline?
    Me too re: 85/1.4D. I love the rendering of that lens but didn't like the mechanics or the CA. Never tried the 85/1.4G as the FL is a bit close to the 58G so I've been without a portrait lens since I sold my 70-200 VR2 which was a great lens but a little big to bring everywhere.
    Fortunately for me, without ownership of any of the 85/1.4 varieties nor the 70-200 VR2 holding me back the new 105 seem like the perfect choice for me.
    Just gotta start saving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I have to agree. Whilst my 85 f1.4 is a stunning lens, the 70-200 gives such superb results I find it difficult to justify the 85. I really think the 85 is a luxury and so will the 105 f1.4. I have to sell the 85 to even think about getting the 105.
    Yea it'd be pretty difficult to justify the 105 if you already owned the 85.
    I guess it comes down to your preferred FL. But as you've said, the 105's not too long and not too short, its just right