As said, distortion is not just related to the lens, the sensor (film) size, distance to subject and angle taken from all contribute.

Is there a reason there are hardly any recent posts on this forum about medium format?
yes! Cause of the 22,000 members of the site you would probably find less than 20 with a medium format camera. DSLR and mirrorless are the dominant cameras in the world today (not just on AP) and as such most discussions revolve around those. Bit like going on an Aussie car forum and asking about people who have driven a Bugaytti Veyron. You will likely find a few.. but not many.

However, there are a members here who have MF (me included) but we also have DSLR etc and you will find the MF camera is not used anywhere near as much as a DSLR, by most of us. Simply out of convenience. MF cameras can produce amazing quality prints. Can I ask if you have shot with film before? Cause it certainly changes the way you shoot. You cannot fire off 20 shots hoping to get a keeper. My best advice would be to go to a second hand camera dealer and grab an slr, put some film in and start practicing.

Good luck and if you do go the MF, you will enjoy the learning experience and the quality results that it can produce.