Quote Originally Posted by colinM View Post
...Just acquired this Mirror lens for a reasonably cheap price, I know they are soft and hard to focus but I like the concept of long Focal Length and low price...
My problem is Fungus on front lens...
Though I pulled a [brand long forgotten] CAT lens apart once, it wasn't too hard after removing some of the rubber grips.
Dexterity and good eyesight help, and I do not remember there being any of the usual adjusting screws for this type of
optical device. I think the whole construction is "engineered with adjustments in it". But my motivation was different. I expected it to
be good. Instead...

After I got it and had done tests, I realised that it was NO GOOD for photography, so I used it as a small 'scope instead,
at which, strangely, it excelled. (Hype and sales talk and saleperson ignorance of product.) Since it was of some
use, I decided to keep it, but I told the shop owner about it. (Had I known all this before I would not have got it at all!!!)

I since got a Tamron 500/8, which excelled at EVERYthing. Also, if you're into weights (as this lens acquisition implies) you can
try for the RUSSIAN MTO brand 1000/11. It's not a solid CAT, but it is WERRY TSCHARP (excuse my poor Russian). They are 2nd
hand and usually retail for about $250 (and resemble a 2L tin of paint).

Seriously, though. Did you know it had fungus on (presumably the back of) the front element? If so, then your penchant for acquiring
such lenses must be strong. - Or are you considering it for an alternative use as a door stop?