User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: Pentax full frame 35mm official announcement from Ricoh (K-1 36mp)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tduell View Post

Does that help?
    Yep makes sense.

but remember us non Pentax folks don't really know much about Pentax systems.

I was thinking that the file type is something weird like PSJpeg or something.
    So the jpg is a standard jpg type and can be viewed by any image browser?

Same with a DNG or PEF file. Any software can view a pixel shifted raw file, or only the Pentax software?

is there any way(eg a setting in camera) to simply combine the images in camera as a single raw file so that the resultant raw file from pixel shifting is a single file(some sort of gain control or something like that).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Yep makes sense.
    Good, I was beginning to think I should give up .

but remember us non Pentax folks don't really know much about Pentax systems.

I was thinking that the file type is something weird like PSJpeg or something.
    Sure, but I thought I had spelled it out well enough, but clearly non-pentaxians can be difficult

So the jpg is a standard jpg type and can be viewed by any image browser?

Same with a DNG or PEF file. Any software can view a pixel shifted raw file, or only the Pentax software?
    yes, the out-of-camera jpg from a pixel shift is stock standard.
    Not all software will correctly read the pixel shift raw. Most will only see the first of the 4 images. I think Lightroom (a bit vague on this as I don't use it) is capable of extracting all 4 pixel shift images from the raw.
    Pentax supply their Digital camera Utility software with the camera which is capable of doing the pixel shift raw processing, and as I said earlier, there is a patched version of dcraw (dcrawps) that can process the pixel shift raw files.

There has been a lot of confusion about all this and I do apologise if I haven't been clear, but it does seem like some of what I have writ hasn't been read, so if still in doubt, please review the thread and it may become clearer .

is there any way(eg a setting in camera) to simply combine the images in camera as a single raw file so that the resultant raw file from pixel shifting is a single file(some sort of gain control or something like that).
    As I think I said previously, I am not really sure if the K-1 is advanced over the K-3 II in this regard. The K-3 II simply saves all 4 raw pixel shift images in the one raw file, there is no combining, or processing of the raws in-camera when raw is the save format.
    We may be at cross purposes here, I am assuming you mean 'is there a camera setting to save a single pixel shift raw, not requiring any out of camera processing to combine the 4 images?', and the answer to that is 'not with the K-3 II, and I'm not aware that the K-1 is different'.
    To reiterate, with the K-3 II the pixel shift raw file contains 4 images,which is the the reason it is 100+ MB in size.

Cheers,
    Terry
    Last edited by tduell; 18-02-2016 at 8:01pm.