User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Buying lens online or in store .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spootz01 View Post
    And therein lies my main problem with buying big items from an overseas store. Personally the overseas warranty is an inconvenience but isn't a deal breaker but when I would only end up saving 100-200 because of GST being slugged separately it doesn't make it worth the time involved. Plus I'm a sucker for actually being able to hold it in my hands before buying it. I went into my local store last week and the guy had a 7D2 out. He put it in my hands with a Sigma 24-105mm f4 and I almost walked out $3000 poorer.
    You weak minded fool. Don't fall for their Jedi mind tricks. Never let them put something in your hand. It's a trick.

They did that once with with me with a medium format lens and I almost bought it...and I don't even have a medium format camera...since then I don't go into stores unless I have something specific to buy and even then, I go in under strict conditions:

• Go in with a list of what you need
    • Never look the shop assistant in the eye
    • Only have enough on my bank card for the items required
    • Never look at what other people are buying
    • Don't look at any specials that are on
    • Don't listen to any additional offers they throw at you while you are buying. I just put both fingers in my ears and shout "DADADADADADA" until they stop talking (might explain why I am banned from some stores)
    • AND NEVER, UNDER ANY CONDITIONS LET THEM PUT SOMETHING IN YOUR HAND THAT ISN'T ON THE LIST UNLESS IT'S THE RECEIPT!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post

• Go in with a list of what you need
    • Never look the shop assistant in the eye
    • Only have enough on my bank card for the items required
    • Never look at what other people are buying
    • Don't look at any specials that are on
    • Don't listen to any additional offers they throw at you while you are buying. I just put both fingers in my ears and shout "DADADADADADA" until they stop talking (might explain why I am banned from some stores)
    • AND NEVER, UNDER ANY CONDITIONS LET THEM PUT SOMETHING IN YOUR HAND THAT ISN'T ON THE LIST UNLESS IT'S THE RECEIPT!!
    Good rules to live by in general really. Although I don't know if the amicable relationship between me and the guy that runs my local would continue if I tried number 6. I just need to buy everything I want then he wont be able to tempt me...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Gear:
    Canon 600D | Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 150-600m f5-6.3 | Manfrotto 680B Monopod
    All kept in: Lowepro Protactic 350AW

The GAS never ends.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------