Thanks Mary Anne .. I'd looked up the manual last night ... mine is in a box .. 'somewhere' .. but it isn't overly clear ... or perhaps it is just me and instructions not being friends .. little bit of both I suspect.

Ricktas ... I could argue with you until I'm blue in the face in regards to the upgrade part, but I think I'd lose, so I'll say thank you.

In regards to the 'Record Mode' ... gah .. I went through each menu and couldn't find it, so then thought I'd do what I didn't do last night in my frustration, look to see what is in the menu areas that are icons and I 'think' I know what they relate to .. yeah, that will teach me for thinking, or trying to ... found it! So after a small victory dance, I now have this camera set up .. oh here I go again, I 'think' to how I wish for it to be and I also 'think' I can now drive it enough to make the changes I need when out shooting .. this weekend, though it is meant to be disgustingly hot here, perhaps a morning outing might be wise and test out this camera and see if I can truly bond with it while my other camera is off getting some love.

Thanks for all the help.