Thread: Canon Digital Photo Professional vs other free alternatives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpixels View Post
    The free alternatives I was using are DigiKam (a photo manager, and simple editor that handles raw files), and Rawtherapee (an raw file converter and editor).
    As you are using Linux I wondered why you didn't include Darktable in your roundup of free alternatives.
    I have tried a few packages (Photivo, Digikam, Rawtherapee), and Darktable looks like it provides most of what one needs, but I'm a novice at this business.
    I would be interested to hear your expert opinion of how it compares.

Cheers,
    Terry

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tduell View Post
    As you are using Linux I wondered why you didn't include Darktable in your roundup of free alternatives.
    I have tried a few packages (Photivo, Digikam, Rawtherapee), and Darktable looks like it provides most of what one needs, but I'm a novice at this business.
    I would be interested to hear your expert opinion of how it compares.

Cheers,
    Terry
    Darktable does look to have the stuff. However, when I tried it the first time, it kept having memory management issues, throwing up an error, and crashing. I searched around, and I wasn't alone.

However, it's been a little while, and maybe they've fixed some problems. I will give it a go again and report back.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam