Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
No one has mentioned QNAP NAS yet ....
I decided that if I did get a NAS, I'd go with the QNAP TS series(4 or 6 bay version).
A bit expensive, but from the reviews I found they're as good as any, if not better .. and easily found locally in a few shops(very important to me).

But this isn't what Lance wanted. The USB ports on the rear of the QNAP(I guess most NASes) are for externally connected drives .. as in USB hard drives of some type.
I don't know if you can connect a NAS via the USB port directly to a computer to gain access to the storage system., ie. as a USB external storage device ?

I'm curious if anyone knows, or has experience with that(I'm still thinking of a NAS box). Can you connect it to a PC directly via USB and use the NAS box as a USB storage device and maintain the raid system .. etc.
Speed isn't an issue for me, that's why I recommended to Lance a directly installed hardware raid card in his PC(if he had the room for the drives).
I edit only the files I have on my PC, never edited externally files .. so out two respective needs are totally different in that respect.