User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: I need an external hard drive case with Raid 5 for 4 x 4TB hard drives and USB 3

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your input, Arthur.

Actually, the transfer speed of the external ethernet connected hard drive that I am trialling is near quoted speeds, being in the 100MB/sec for writing files from the external hard drive to the internal drive. However, due to the raid system of the extrernal ethernet connected drive, it is limited to about 75MB/sec when writing files to the external ethernet drive.

As for a USB 3 external drive, they will definitely run at least to 170MB/sec, but generally much more, like 230MB/sec. They are limited by the RAID 5 system not USB 3, which will read up to 625MB/sec.

I have tried other USB external drives and the read write speeds are much, much faster than the ethernet connected external hard drive. What I want is something faster than the ehternet external hard drive that I have trialled and USB 3 external hard drives will deliver that speed. I have looked at a Drobo external hard drive system with their own RAID system:
    http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/drobo/
    Last edited by Lance B; 04-11-2015 at 2:07am.