Thread: C'mon let's wake this forum up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do realise the reason we talk like this is because we're at work when we can't take photos

I would be interested to see where this goes long term. Progression of technology is mind blowing when you consider it. Looking back 7 years or so before the iPhone was released, if people told you the biggest phone manufacturers in the world would be Samsung and Apple, most would have laughed because nokia and blackberry ruled the roost. Its a good indication of how far things can come in 5-7 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if something like a variation of OVF with HUD is the future but a lot more advanced than the current versions in DSLR's which just put a focus point. If you had to start including see through high resolution displays (which are already available but unlikely to be compact enough), you could easily find yourself in a position where you have the best of both worlds, or even the choice of EVF and OVF depending on your preference. It may even be some form of one way mirror which allows you still see through the viewfinder but have have the sensor still receiving the picture so it can use a combination of focus mechanisms. I'm guess at this stage, it may already be available in some form.

Of course, it could also go the way of EVF which is so advanced that you can't actually tell you are looking at an EVF.

Either way, the progression of mirrorless and mirrored cameras is good for us because us as consumers benefit from the improvements in technology.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    ...... if people told you the biggest phone manufacturers in the world would be Samsung and Apple,

.... Its a good indication of how far things can come in 5-7 years.......

and further to that, who'd have thought that these two companies would come to dominate the world of photography!

back in an age when Fuji, Kodak, Canon and Nikon were the dominant forces in world photography.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    and further to that, who'd have thought that these two companies would come to dominate the world of photography
    I reckon that should read phoneography, it bears the same resemblance to photography as a tinny music track on spotify does to a good quality cd ( let's not mention vinyl here ) does to music.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    I reckon that should read phoneography, it bears the same resemblance to photography as a tinny music track on spotify does to a good quality cd ( let's not mention vinyl here ) does to music.
    I actually think the opposite. I think if anything it has exploded the world of photography and I think it introduces a younger generation to photography and the merits of it. Yes, there are some horrible pictures, namely the selfie generation, but it's not all bad. I think some of the filters actually allow people to explore photography at a light level and potential engage their interest.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I actually think the opposite. I think if anything it has exploded the world of photography and I think it introduces a younger generation to photography and the merits of it.
    To a certain point I agree, I would rather look at it as exploding the world of instant gratification ( + sharing ) image acquisition, in much the same way as when digital cameras hit the market.
    In the overall picture ( pardon the pun ) the number of people that start truly exploring photography from having their interest piqued by their phones would be a minute percentage of phone owners in general and phone camera users in particular. Once again overall, the number of people who went on to truly explore photography after buying a new fangled digital compact camera were probably a minute percentage of the actual sales numbers over the years as well.
    But yes, if history repeats as it did by getting more people into photography with the dawning of the digital camera age then there will be more come on board as you suggest by the use of their phones. Any number of new (serious) participants in the sport is a good thing and whilst there are some very good phone images out there they are still drowned under the tide of effluent that comprises the vast majority of phone pics.