Quote Originally Posted by flashc View Post
No one has mentioned the effect of image stabilization built into lenses where manufacturers state that it can allow you to handhold at up to 4 stops slower.

What does IS or VR in a lens really do to the 1/FL rule when you're hand holding the 100mm lens on a stationary scene

Under normal conditions, we should now be able to shoot at 1/10 sec instead of 1/160 using a Canon APS-C sensor

IS doesn't work this miracle very well for me, especially since I moved from a 6MP DSLR camera back in 2003 to 21MP now

Good point, Flashc. I guess it hasn't been mentioned because the discussion has been about basic techniques so far, but now that you've raised it...

You'd probably know about it, but IS is stated in terms of "stops". For instance, "4 stops" at a certain focal length. (As I understand it) that means that
the image is stabilised to 4 exposure stops (not f-stops, but in this case) of exposure time, ie, shutter speed. So, if your camera is set to 1/15sec, the
image will be stabilised to the equivalent of 1/250sec. (Sequence: 1/ 15, 30, 60, 120, 240.)