Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
..... and in that case having a camera with you, whatever it is, is the difference between getting the shot and not getting it.
Actually it's this specific point that probably gives me the most uncomfortable feeling about the point that, as Jim said .. "It's always there"

We humans seem to have (on the whole) a lack of an ability to to respect a persons need to privacy in some situations where it's the most appropriate thing to do.

Without trying to locate a specific situation, I think we all agree that sometimes not taking a photo(or video or whatever) would be the respectful thing to do.

yet, in our general need to see things(that don't really need to be seen) or capture a moment that doesn't really mean anything to anyone other than the possible hardship that may follow for the subject .. we lose the concept of maintaining our distance and respecting someone's possible need for privacy.

In a word .. voyeurism/rubbernecking/gawking! .. Ok make that words then, not word!

Twice last week, I had the displeasure of having been disrupted by an accident on a freeway AGAIN!(why does this always happen when you're under deadline pressures! )

Anyhow, now basically stuck in heavy traffic and not wanting to stress over it(AGAIN) which generally means more nails in the coffin in a short amount of time .. I noted that far too many idiots on the other side of the freeway slowing down with their idiot smartphones either videoing or photographing the scene of the accident on our side of the road.

Does the world really need this sort of brainless activity?

I'd much prefer if the camera makers made it super hard to activate the camera on your smart phone .. even to the point where it only activated when completely still and zero motion sensitivity(this could easily be done) and that the time it took for the camera to eventually activate could be counted in the hours or days. (But that the response time of the shutter were in the nanosecond range )

This would alleviate at least two of my issues with the general public.

1/. fewer (to none) idiot passing motorists with aspirations to be the next Steven Spielberg!
2/. hopefully far fewer seriously not funny and inane youtube or facebook videos for brainless workers to laugh over, which results in less bludge time at work.

Don't get the idea that I have this autistic need for super high quality everything .. it's just that the inane and stupidly idiotic is a direct result of making things easier.
The idiot (who would otherwise not have the capacity to turn on the camera) now has idiot level access .. and you reckon they'll post up or capture something worth capturing.

I liked Malcolm Fraser's out look on life
.... and then Steve Jobs came along totally stuffed it up!