User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  21

Thread: Anyone having problems with SD Cards falling apart.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the? Someone using my name and location right in Ho Chi Minh city (where I just came back from and will be going to again next week) - no way it's a coincidence. lol
    I wonder if I can get a copy of the original post email, or IP sent - interested to see who tried to be me. lol

Eitherway, back on topic, I'm with what Warb was saying, plastic these days are pretty tough. It's the glue that sometimes just doesn't hold it together, and maybe there was an assembling mishap or something.

I have a Sandisk that separated and plastic bits where the pins are have all broken off, or so - so I just keep it there with the photos it had taken now (already backed up photos onto other devices just in case the card decides to go one day)

Had one where the lock wouldn't stay in the unlock position - it didn't click in. So when inserting the card into anything, the slightest bump would push it just enough for it to be locked (even though it hadn't clicked into the lock position), so I used tape to hold it up.

So I've generally just gotten over it all and just buy any cheap card now. I probably know I should be chastised for this because you never know when a cheap card could die in a middle of a shoot or what not, but I usually bring a backup I guess, and as briefly read in these thread, it just so happens to be a Sandisk that is breaking apart. So...

I think it's just the luck of the draw.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    What the? Someone using my name and location right in Ho Chi Minh city (where I just came back from and will be going to again next week) - no way it's a coincidence. lol
    I wonder if I can get a copy of the original post email, or IP sent - interested to see who tried to be me. lol
    Sorry but no.

I have a Sandisk that separated and plastic bits where the pins are have all broken off, or so - so I just keep it there with the photos it had taken now (already backed up photos onto other devices just in case the card decides to go one day)
    They are so cheap these days --- throw it away before it breaks permanently.

Had one where the lock wouldn't stay in the unlock position - it didn't click in. So when inserting the card into anything, the slightest bump would push it just enough for it to be locked (even though it hadn't clicked into the lock position), so I used tape to hold it up.
    I have one the same with a easily knocked lock tab. It happens to be a Lexar Platinum 11 but having said that we have a mixture of Sandisk and Lexar cards ( both CF and SD ) ranging in age from 10 to 2 years old and have never had an issue with any of them until the lock tab one. *

*That will almost certainly guarantee a total failure of all cards we possess within the next week.
    Last edited by I @ M; 28-01-2015 at 10:05am.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Sorry but no.
    Darn, really want to know who's trying to use my identity lol

Anyways, I think companies use SD cards more purely for size benefits - easier to carry more on you, and more space remaining in the DSLR for other things like 2nd slot, bigger battery, bigger processor, sensor, more space for cooling, etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lock tabs on SD cards are only a mechanical device (not electronic). The same as the old 3.5" disks (and even 5.25" disks, cassette tapes etc.), the reader has a switch that falls in to the hole that is left when the tab is moved to the "locked" position. So to "unlock" a card, you just need to block the hole. A small piece of tape over the hole is normally enough, as the switch doesn't push with much force. If you want to be really certain, put a sliver of plastic along the length of the slot where the tab fell out, and put tape over it. As long as the reader doesn't "feel" a gap, it will treat the card as read/write (unlocked). The only issue is ensuring the tape is wrapped around the card securely enough that it doesn't fall out!

Edit:
    When I say "hole", on an SD card I'm talking about the tiny indentation in which the lock tab slides....
    Last edited by Warb; 28-01-2015 at 12:33pm. Reason: Clarity

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but under the Privacy Act I cannot give personal information about a member (or ex member) to another member, without their permission or a court order.
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-01-2015 at 7:37pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography