I recently found myself in just this situation, and surprised myself by replacing my 6 year old Windows machine with a refurbished MacBook Pro, which cost me about $2500, with a 512GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, and a lovely 15 in Retina display. While the performance of the new machine is a real revelation to me, I can't really say too much about it given that I can only compare it to a PC which was ancient, and was having real trouble coping with recent software.

Generally speaking I agree with Hamster, with a couple of extra observations:

-Trying to do anything reasonably complicated (eg setting up a local network using wi-fi) tends to be ridiculously easy on the Mac compared to on a PC, but if anything goes wrong it's a bit harder to troubleshoot. Macs are sort of more opaque.

-If you're used to Windows PCs (I used them exclusively for 16 years) the various incompatibilities can seem a bit daunting at first. It's not just that things work differently; they can't read each others file systems (out of the box, at least) transferring browser settings or old e-mails can be a pain, you may need to "crossgrade" Photoshop and find alternatives for your favourite software... don't be too daunted: look it up on the internet and there's a solution to every problem.