Nikon's D810 announcement is imminent any moment now(apparently).

Just read a leaked/whoopsie on NR on some of it's specs.
Interesting ISO rates being stated in that release. Base ISO at 64 with an extended low of down to 32.
Base high ISO doesn't change and is still 12800, but can now extend up to ISO 51.2K (25,600 was the upper limit for the D800 twins)

Focus improvements were to be expected, and would love to update just for this feature. (Of course I won't .. no need for an update at my end).
The other almost alluring feature is the electronic first curtain(shutter) .. minimises vibrations in many situations.

There are claims being made that the sensor now at 36.3Mp is new.
I can't imagine that being totally true ... tweaked, maybe but new is hardly believable. To make a new sensor and not boost it's base high ISO ability when you know your competitor will! .. seems like an opportunity lost to me.

THIS (cached site) is claiming that the new sensor is 36.3Mp whereas the old sensor was 36.2Mp.
(this link is copied here courtesy of NikonRumour. It's a cached website that had uploaded this review a bit too early)
But the overall number of pixels on the sensor was apparently 36.8Mp .. as there are always some pixels that don't get used(at the periphery).
So I think these numbers are 'marketing speak' (read that as marketing BS!) from Nikon.
Anyhow .. directly compared images will reveal the newness factor.

Anyhow .. I'm curious as to what others think of the update.
I didn't think that the D800 needed an update actually.
I'd have thought that a D400 would have been a bigger sales success(going by the number of internet people seemingly waiting for it).

Unless higher ISO image quality is somehow improved by a few magnitudes .. I can't see myself updating for a while.