Thread: Wonder what Juliar is thinking?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of misconceptions out there about Labor's debt, and whilst some spending was inappropriate, not as much as Liberal voters seem to think. The fact remains that under labor our economy remained one of the best in the world, and the various billions of dollars people like to scream about are not actually out of proportion when looked at in relation to global and national budgets. However, let's face it - if you are one of those who believes in Tony and voted for him, then facts and logic are not likely to change your mind.

What the problem is, in my mind, is the structure of western governments. Having two opposing parties means that a hugely disproportionate amount of time and energy is wasted in arguing with each other and preparing for the 4 yearly elections. If you examine the focus of both parties, it is largely defensive and in no way collaborative or based on compromise. If that wasted energy were to be directed to actually creating practical solutions rather than political ones, we would all be better off. One look at a parliamentary sitting illustrates how futile the process is - and it provides an absolutely dreadful role model for our children.

We elect people who are supposed to be our representatives, yet who are in no way representing anything except the party line. We need a truly representative government where we vote for someone we believe in rather than someone who represents a political party. They should truly represent our wishes and vote accordingly. Partly line voting only exists because there are parties. Similarly, we should not have ministers in charge of portfolios who are not experts in their fields. If someone is, say, the Minister for Transport, then he should be someone from that area - an expert in transport. Under the current system, any politician can be put in charge of something he knows nothing about.

The problems we face are those of structure, and until society creates a new framework we shall continue to have this relentless battle between parties whose sole function is to disagree with the other side. What we need is one representative government whose sole function is to do what's best for the country, based on information from competent, qualified advisers. Yup ... a pipe dream, but in my view one which would produce a better country and society.

By the way, I noticed someone here supported reducing foreign aid, and i must say that I wouldn't subscribe to any policy which advocated such selfishness. One look around our society and a look around impoverished nations should be enough to illustrate the fact that we can well afford to help others who live in extreme poverty. We sit here with our wide screen TVs, expensive cars and health systems while they live in huts living off garbage. I simply cannot understand the mindset that would turn our backs on those people so that we can live in even more luxury!
    Last edited by bobt; 31-05-2014 at 9:03am.