User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: A Hello From Tasmania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up A Hello From Tasmania

Hi, I am a fairly new photographer who has only had point and shoot cameras up until early last month when my wife and I purchased a 5300 with a 18-140mm lens and a 50mm lens. I have been using/programming computers for over 22 years but have on been post editing images a little in the last couple of years as I was scanning in the photo's and making a family tree, but only since getting the new camera I've been using Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom, Corel Paintshop, HDRsoft Photomatix Pro and any other useful tools I can find to play with to improve our images and get the results we're after.

Having 5 kids I don't have a lot of time to go out and take many photo's, but I often have enough time at home to edit a few photos on and off during the day, the benefit of 5 kids is I have a lot of subjects that are unique, always changing and something to focus my camera on, but mostly I leave the actual photo taking to the wife and just post edit them, occasionally she'll let me have a turn of the good camera (our current point and shoot is a Lumix tz20 and before that it was an old 2.4mp Olympus).

I am interested in learning more about photography so the photos I do take are worth keeping and for sharing with others, but until we get a little more time to concentrate on our new shared hobby and practice the things we learn, it may be a slow process to get there as I find that you read a few of the rules, ideas and camera settings, stand behind the camera and your lucky to remember 2 or 3 things at a time for each photo So I am a newbie to "real" photography, but hope with the help of you all here that I can pick up a few more tips that will make a difference to capturing the memories so I can share them with my kids in the future.

Hope to see you all in the threads soon (PS I have a strong sense of humor)

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome LiveFreeDead

Photography is something that you will always be learning new techniques with the camera or post processing...etc The main thing is enjoy taking photos and try and do it often so you can keep on top of what you have learnt and pick up new things along the way, either from reading threads here or posting a photo for constructive critique. Maybe think of the style you want to focus on and have a look at other photos from people here and get involved in discussions.

I think 2 areas that are really helpful are understanding your camera, knowing what each button does and how to change various settings, how to find things via the menu and how to adjust them. I find youtube to be a great place to look for a tutorial on various cameras and I'm sure yours is there too. That would be a great way to understand your camera more. The other place is in the manual. The other area I would look at is aperture, shutter speed and iso and again I would look at youtube for a tutorial on those 3 things. Having a solid understanding of those will definitely help your photography.

Good luck Glenn and hope to see some of your photos here and hope we can help you out along the way.
    D810, D7100 & D3200, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC, Nikkor 45mm PC-E 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 II, Tokina 100m 2.8 macro & Tokina 300mm 2.8 Pro

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Join in and learn. Post some photos for critique and take on board the feedback (you might need a sense of humour and a thick skin at times). See you on the forums
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    & Welcome
    - lets see some photos in the main CC forums maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Glen and Welcome to AP.. Interesting User Name does it have a story to go with it
    Plenty of subjects there with five Models/Children so will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums.
    Glen maybe a good idea to have a joint Membership with your Wife Please Read Rule #20 seeing Photography is her hobby also
    Perhaps your Wife can be the Free you the Live, and if you have a Dog well it can be the other one.
    Take no notice of the above line I am Well you did write you had a Sense of Humour

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started life on the internet as {Name1}, then got banned on a few forums and changed it to "ReturnOf{Name1}", I kept that name with the new found experience (don't post anything until you re-read it and still think what your saying is useful and not hurting others, else just close of the page and don't post at all), Then "ReturnOf{Name1}" got well known and people started expecting things from me that I no longer drew interest from, so I quit that username and moved on to one that suit me more, as "Live Free or Die" was so mainstream and had a different meaning to my life view I figured I could knock together some different wording so that someone else wouldn't be using it on other forums I signed up for. I put a lot of time and passion into my hobbies and most everything I do in life, so if I am not upsetting or helping people, it's not worth my time

I'll only be sharing my own photo's here, so no need for us to share an account.

BTW I got banned from my last forums back in 2004, but only because the mods didn't have a sense of humor so pot stirring is encouraged.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeDead View Post
    I'll only be sharing my own photo's here, so no need for us to share an account.
    Well Glen That is a shame as seeing your Wife has been the main Photographer up till now it would be nice to see her work too.

Everything in moderation with me Glen even Humour

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeDead View Post
    ..... (PS I have a strong sense of humor)
    Better leave that at the door. We're a serious bunch of photographers here.

G'day and welcome aboard Glenn. (seriously)
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Well Glen That is a shame as seeing your Wife has been the main Photographer up till now it would be nice to see her work too."

She's already a member here, how do you think I found out about you good people
    Last edited by LiveFreeDead; 09-05-2014 at 5:33pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah , I was telling him about this site I found full of useful info and nice people and now he's trying to steal MY forum like he tries to steal MY camera out of my bare hands every time we're out and about

I only kid, just got tired of trying to tell him about stuff so he signed up to see for himself.

Mary Anne - no need to worry about copyright, we make sure to take a blank picture etc before we hand the camera over so we know whose photos are whose ............ unless of-course its a site rule that we need a joint account?

Oh and I post edit any photos I put up on here myself as I'm trying to learn that side of things too , as you'll probably notice when you see the differences between his pics and mine - Ive yet to learn the balance between not far enough and a clown threw up on my photo
    Last edited by TheNW; 09-05-2014 at 7:22pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNW View Post
    ............ unless of-course its a site rule that we need a joint account?
    Nah, you don't need a joint account.
    Wouldn't mind seeing you teach each other new things via AP though.
    Would help others learn and we may just have a little fun observing!

Anyway, If you both need a reason to take a photo each week, it's not to late to play in this years members challenge...... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...lenges-52-2014.
    While one of you is looking after the kids the other can go take a photo, then change batons. See what you come up with then share it with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome ,

Enjoy the site! Post some images. Everyone here is very friendly. Make use of the Beginner's CC forum while you can. Get involved and enter the competitions ( if you like competitions) , and try the members challenge each week . These all give you a way to keep motivated and focus your learning.

Their is a wealth of experience and information here on the site.

Most of all have fun!
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters