Good point, Andrew. I think it wasn't so much the Nikon menu system as my laziness and lack of motivation. That and the fact that the D200 was quite big and I didn't have the right lenses, and didn't know what I wanted to shoot. Perhaps it was a time and a place thing. Anyway, having the smartphone on me all the time and having such a good camera with OIS seems to have kickstarted my interest in photography.

I think my initial impulse to upgrade from the Nokia was to get a top quality compact that would replicate the shooting style of the smartphone but bring speed and quality, and the option to go manual as I progressed. Hence my interest in the Canon EOS M.

Anyway, I think the Fuji X cameras are significantly small enough that I can pretty much have it on me most of the time.

One option is that I just get the X100S and just spend time with a single focal length (a great many people love this angle and that is all that they require for almost all of their shooting), or I continue with the decision to get the X-T1 with 18-55mm kit zoom and the 23mm prime. There isn't any savings to be had by buying lenses up front and this way I can make a more informed purchase later on. I realise now that while it is fantastic to have great advice from very experienced photographers like yourselves, without an appropriate level of experience and knowledge myself I cannot interpret the advice properly and apply it to my own photography. It would require that you explain your choices and shooting styles in much more detail. Taking up much time and effort from you.

One thing I have appreciated about the Nokia is the fixed focal length. As others have said, having a single focal length can improve one's visualisation, intuition, and speed in capture. Certainly, the method of pre-setting hyper focal length and exposure for fast street photography is very appealing and I don't think this technique is used on zooms. That said, as you mentioned, Ricktas, using a 55-200mm zoom can also allow a more deliberate method for street and other photography, including portraits. Hmmm.

Lens choice is certainly a very individual choice. One that is clearly evidenced by both of your recommendations above. Andrew, you recommended the classic 35mm standard prime and an ultra-wide to wide angle zoom. Whereas Ricktas, you recommended one or both of the kit zooms and the 14mm for the ultra wide end. Neither of you recommended the 23mm street prime which was unexpected. The majority of the street shooters have promoted the 23mm over the 35mm lens, citing that the 35mm is too narrow. Interesting.

Still others add either the 27mm pancake prime for ultra lightweight snapping, or the tele zoom for distance street shooting.

Going the X100S route would simplify things greatly, and keep costs down. However, I am afraid of wanting other focal lengths as I progress in my learning and being limited. I could go to the X-E2 but then I may as well go for the X-T1. Getting the kit lens seems to be the practical thing to do as a good saving can be had in a kit purchase.

As usual, money dictates choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk