User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 70D Announced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wonder why a new advancement in one direction suggests to people that the company will drop the ball in other aspects. Same happened with live view and then video. Stills still work fine.
    Using a 7d or a s95
    Advice and Edits welcome
    http://adamrose.wordpress.com/ [/CENTER]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait until 7dm2
    hopefully soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
    I always wonder why a new advancement in one direction suggests to people that the company will drop the ball in other aspects. Same happened with live view and then video. Stills still work fine.
    Agreed. Surely even a minor advancement in some areas at the expense of large advancements in others is still a step forward, right?
    Nick T.

Canon EOS 60D; Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM; Canon "Nifty Fifty" 50mm F/1.8 II; Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro; 2x Sigma EF-530DG Super flashes; Manfrotto 190XProB + 804CR2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    I think it is actually a step up from the 7D, which is a good thing as the 7Dmk2 hopefully will be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Oster View Post
    From my perspective, this looks like a great camera. I was looking at getting a 7D which would be as much still camera as I would ever need. The 70D seems to have all the features of the 7D, plus great video features thrown in. For the enthusiast market, this looks like a winner - although like others I would like to see a full review when it's released.
    Personally, I think the 7D is the best APS C camera that Canon make and mine is now over 3 years old and has shot over 100,000 frames. It has survived a couple of accidental (normally fatal) drops onto concrete and still came up working ok..

It's never had a Canon service or needed the sensor to be cleaned other than by the 7D onboard system.

I recently went to Brisbane to buy myself another 7D body as the price in camera shops at present is just over $1000.00.
    I also considered a Nikon D71000 or continue waiting for the 7D Mk II release.

I couldn't find a 7D body anywhere I went because as soon as they receive stock of the 7D, they're sold out.

The salesman said have you considered the 70D and as I had my 7D with me, he took some shots inside the (darkish) large shop with both cameras.

I'm the owner of a new Canon 70D now...

I was so impressed with the low light focusing speed and quality of the high ISO shot of the 70D compared to my 7D, that I pulled out my credit card immediately..

Focusing seems very accurate and I agree that it's a step up from the 4 year old 7D as most of the features I have in my 7D are in the 70D. No White balance and no flash exposure adjustment direct control buttons are on the top panel, it has no joystick control stick, a smaller control wheel and no metal body.

Compare that to my 2nd camera I use as well, a Nikon D5100 and the 70D to me is just a 7D in a smaller format.
    I can hold the 70D in my hand with a similar feel to my 7D and the tips of my fingers fit between the lens and the hand grip unlike other small DSLR cameras where it's a very shorter space to try to fit your fingers in with a secure hold. My wrists should recover from the lesser weight of the 70D.

Wireless flash (infrared type) same as the 7D, 8 frames sec, SDXC UHS-I memory cards that I already carry for my Nikon, WiFi built in if that's what you need, Clean pentaprism viewfinder with any focus points, grid etc able to be switched on and off as required, a lock button in the centre of the mode dial (that annoys me but I have accidentally turned it on my 7D so I know why they added it)

98% viewfinder coverage ( a reason why I bought my 7D as the 7D is 100%), 19 focus points all cross type, AF microadjustment if you need it for a different lens, 7 or 8 frames per second in burst mode, all my EF-S and EF lens will fit, same battery and charger as the 60D, 7D and the 5DIII, better clearer monitor than my 7D and it flips out like my Nikon and the 60D, touchscreen too, video probably works better than my 7D and that works well if I use it

Not sure why we need 20+ MP but Canon must have a reason, I guess, and it's good to be able to crop a small section sometimes.

Newly designed focusing system works well for me and equals the focusing on my 7D or is better, 1/8000 to 30 sec exposures selectable, ISO 100 to 25,600 if you're shooting in near darkness, HDR and multiple exposure modes built in, focusing brightness EV -0.5 to 18 works for me in low light.

My 7D is still a great camera for the metal construction, control layout and it just feels right when you pick it up...

The 70D in my experience so far is a "upgrade" of the 7D and i would recommend it to anyone who, like me is probably tired of waiting for the 7D Mk II to appear and will probably cost double the price or more..
    Last edited by flashc; 12-09-2013 at 4:43pm.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12