Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
...... because these are sophisticated pieces of equipment that need up to date Nikon service equipment, tools and programs.
The only issue I have with this part of the comment is that going by the OP's original complaint, Nikon's authorized service agents seem to have no clue as to how to use this sophisticated equipment!

If they did the OP's situation wouldn't exist in the first place.

No harm in trying an unauthorised repairer ..... could they really do any worse?

I've set reset and reset again my D300 with a few focus fixes over the years .. mainly for the manual focus lenses, but I did have a go at adjusting the AF calibration for the mirror once too. Set it back to where(I think) was the original setting.

Can't really recall that it misfocused after I had a go at calibrating it myself .. and I'll readily admit I had no idea on what I was actually doing. A non authorised Nikon repairer will, or should, have some idea on how to calibrate, repair, reset and readjust almost any Nikon camera.

My belief is that Nikon have introduced all these sophisticated gizmos and instruments to fool us into believing that only THEY have the knowledge on how their cameras work, and how to 'repair them'.
They probably really do close to nothing more than the average knowledgeable camera serviceperson can do using their expertise anyhow!

These tactics from Nikon remind me of the old days when car manufacturers began using their proprietary vehicle diagnostic comms ports all those years ago, for the strict purpose of making it impossible for non authorised repairers to service those vehicles. Luckily(for us) governments around the globe stepped in and forced them to use standardised comms systems, whereby anyone with the easily available tools can now diagnose issues with their vehicles.
Cameras will never be as vital a part of everyday life as are vehicles, so the governments will never take action to prevent this type of monopolisation of servicing for cameras .. and we'll just 'have to live with it'.

Don't think for one minute that these diagnostic equipment are vital to the operation and servicing of cameras and are borne of any need to keep the devices working in top condition!
They are simply a channel for the manufacturers to force consumers into using their authorised service centres at inflated pricing levels, and as a means to protect their corporation's profitability.

Eliminate the competition(in this case indy service people) and they then have the right to charge massively inflated service/repair pricing.