User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  25

Thread: I was asked to stop taking photos..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    People are certainly paranoid....I'm glad where I live the farmer's market loves and lets you take photos, mind you it's run by all the locals, so there is no management - and those locals are more than happy to even pose for you - crazy buggers!
    What you say here about the fact that there is no management is a very important one and one that actually gives a little insight into our modern society, and to a point, where the new jobs are being created. The problem is, once you install "rules", then you have to have people to enforce the rules and once you have these people to enforce these rules, then you have people trying to justify their jobs top make sure that their jobs are always there. So, what you then have is an entire industry set up to firstly make you scared of what can happen if you do not have these "rules" and then another industry put in place to enforce them.

So, we have scare mongering - read current affairs programs and much of the mainstream media and the like - then we have security cameras and secutiy guards put around justifying their jobs at every turn to make sure nobody breaks the rules. Is it in any of these people's interest to stop the scare mongering? No way. Whole industries set up to scare us and then others to protect us. I guess it keeps them all employed as who knows what jobs they'd have if they didn't scare us all.

Reminds me of the time of the bombings in London in 2005. Before the bombings, the authorities were concerned about people taking photos in underground railway stations and other public places etc for fear that they may be terrorists "casing" the places, but after the bombings they were asking the public if they had taken photos in these stations at the time so as they could help identify the culprits!! Unbelievable!!

What gets me about all this is that terrorists, or anyone up to no good, is hardly going to be going around brandishing the latest DSLR with big lenses bringing attention to themselves, they do it all covertly and discretely.

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    What you say here about the fact that there is no management is a very important one and one that actually gives a little insight into our modern society, and to a point, where the new jobs are being created. The problem is, once you install "rules", then you have to have people to enforce the rules and once you have these people to enforce these rules, then you have people trying to justify their jobs top make sure that their jobs are always there. So, what you then have is an entire industry set up to firstly make you scared of what can happen if you do not have these "rules" and then another industry put in place to enforce them.
    Very true, which is why I'm glad we still sort of run on a "bartering" system down there - we have a very medieval approach! I love the idea of the old "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." Our community lives by it and embrace it! Even to the point of, I'll rebuild my neighbours tractor engine because he's too old and short sighted and he'll cut my fire breaks in, and not manage to run through a fence!
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    Very true, which is why I'm glad we still sort of run on a "bartering" system down there - we have a very medieval approach! I love the idea of the old "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." Our community lives by it and embrace it! Even to the point of, I'll rebuild my neighbours tractor engine because he's too old and short sighted and he'll cut my fire breaks in, and not manage to run through a fence!
    Sigh, and a way of life we seem to be missing these days.

In my neighbourhood, I am always the first to offer a lending hand to anyone who requires it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Sigh, and a way of life we seem to be missing these days.

In my neighbourhood, I am always the first to offer a lending hand to anyone who requires it.
    *sigh* That must be my problem. I live in a little suburban neighbourhood in which I know all my neighbours (both sides, behind me, three in front of me, and a couple more down the street). I often take my daughter for a walk to deliver excess veges, and they all know where we store our eggs and help themselves (and pay us for them when they get around to it).

I am not sufficiently hardened to the cold cruel world of the Farmer's Market
    Cass
    I switched my camera off auto in November 2012, and I have been busy reading and learning and practicing ever since.
    My kit is basic: Canon 1000D (two kit lenses) + 50mm f/1.8 + a tripod/monopod + Lightroom4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took some photos last weekend of the general public, had the camera waist level, and I dont think I drew any attention. Managed to get some interesting shots, but I feel concerned about uploading them. I didn't get anyone's permission, and I don't want to face legalities doing so. If I cant show these pics, then they are pretty pointless shots I guess. Unsure
    CC allways appreciated!
    My gear Canon 1100D, Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD lens, and Canon 18-55 EFS lens.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extraball View Post
    Took some photos last weekend of the general public, had the camera waist level, and I dont think I drew any attention. Managed to get some interesting shots, but I feel concerned about uploading them. I didn't get anyone's permission, and I don't want to face legalities doing so. If I cant show these pics, then they are pretty pointless shots I guess. Unsure
    Of course you can, As long as you don't use the photos for commercial reasons, ie sell them to an advertising agency, you are free to display them. If taking photos without their permission was an issue, every CCTV and speed camera in Aus would be illegal. So go ahead. Also note that the legislation is not different for children as many would like you to believe. Children are not mentioned separately. Basically if you are in a public place in Australia, no matter what your age, you should expect to be photographed at any time.
    Last edited by ricktas; 30-01-2013 at 6:16am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Of course you can, As long as you don't use the photos for commercial reasons, ie sell them to an advertising agency, you are free to display them. If taking photos without their permission was an issue, every CCTV and speed camera in Aus would be illegal. So go ahead. Also note that the legislation is not different for children as many would like you to believe. Children are not mentioned separately. Basically if you are in a public place in Australia, no matter what your age, you should expect to be photographed at any time.
    yes, I agree. Just seems to be a public perception, that people can not photograph without permission. Our cameras are noticed, and we provide a "face behind the lens", that security cameras mounted in/on buildings do not. I suppose the antics, or the way the media portray paparazzi isn't helping our image either. Heaven forbid we take photos of kids, and the reasoning behind it. I suggested to my wife, that I drop her to work on friday, and take pics of surfers at the beach. She didn't think it a good idea, thought I may upset them, and get myself into trouble. Surfers would be the last people to get upset, doubt they would even know, or care that I was there. Over-sensitive PC world that we live in.
    Last edited by extraball; 30-01-2013 at 9:16am.