Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tattoo's for or against

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    We all have different tastes though I would rather look at my Grandfather in an Album or in a Frame

What about when you get too old to bend down there too look..
    Its on my forearm, no bending required lol! And when im old, and cant bend over, my first thoughts will definitely be how much I regret my tattoos LMAO
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    We all have different tastes though I would rather look at my Grandfather in an Album or in a Frame
    Is that a walking frame that you mean Mary Anne?

I know I would rather see images of departed loved ones as they were when I remembered them at their best.
    Sort of like the well done image Emma has there -------
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by triptych View Post
    Its on my forearm, no bending required lol! And when im old, and cant bend over, my first thoughts will definitely be how much I regret my tattoos LMAO
    Sorry Emma I thought it was your leg, Guess I was having a grey moment

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Is that a walking frame that you mean Mary Anne?

I know I would rather see images of departed loved ones as they were when I remembered them at their best.
    Sort of like the well done image Emma has there -------
    That would be a photo frame Andrew but you knew that didn't you

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once had my ear pierced and an earring put in. Almost no men at that time had it done (this was 1974), but soon it was all the rage. I then took my earring out. I've never been into tattoos, but each to their own. The current popularity would irritate me if I had had it done as I know that "flavour of the month" soon becomes "how yesterday is that". It does mark you for something, but that very much depends on what you are tattooed with and where. A swastika in the middle of your forehead is different from granddad on your arm.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo is generally not in favour of Tattoos - but they don't annoy him either when he sees them. It just puzzles him.

Have to agree with what LanceB said....the more people try to be different/individuals, the more they end up the same.

Would never think to have one of course - too much fur doesn't help. If for any strange and unlikely reason Mongo were to have one, it could only state and confirm the obvious..."Mongo is a real animal".
    Nikon and Pentax user

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    I once had my ear pierced and an earring put in. Almost no men at that time had it done (this was 1974).
    I had my left ear pierced twice in 1972.Still got the originals in today. I used to knock around with a hippie dude back when there used to be hippie dudes he had both ears done. All my footy mates all bagged me and called me all sorts of bad bad names. We went out to our favourite coffee shop after a game one weekend and the cute waitress that worked there( we were all keen on her Hi Peta Jane if you are still out there) said that she really liked my pierced ear. How many guys went back the week after with a ring in thier ear. I dont hate tatts I am not a fan of most facial piercings (nose , eyelids, the bit between your lip and nose) I just think that tatts are way to common now. I just wish (dont hate me for saying this) that young girls would really think about it first.

Peter

PS

I should have asked if you Liked or disliked tattoos. I think FOR or AGAINST is a bit to protagonistic sorry
    Last edited by pjs2; 11-12-2012 at 8:32pm.
    Peter
    Canon s3is, 2 x 50Ds, Canon 18-55is, Canon 55-250is, ef 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8,
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex dg os hsm, Sigma APO 150-500 f5-6.3 dg os hsm
    tripod, monopod, 4 didgeridoo's.
    Two million years of evolution and I'm still a Homo ergaster.
    ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mustymustang/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any, probably because I haven't found anything I wanted on me for life.........yet. 44 years.

I like some tats on some people, male and female. some are over the top, and some could get a better job at a pre school finger painting session. It all depends on who, where, what, and probably when, because what looks good when you are 18 may not look good when you are 60.
    Last edited by aussieray; 11-12-2012 at 10:00pm.
    Ray
    60D 5Diii

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tattoos.... I actually have a lot of tattoos.... 6 of them, I did myself. Before you say it, no, they're not the typical back yard job. They're mine, and I love them. ( Rick has seen them, actually if you're my friend on facebook, you've probably seen them too lol.. ) My tattoos have meaning to me, at a particular time in my life. And I can almost guarantee that no one else in the world has them...... because I designed them all myself. I'm about to get a new one, a half sleeve ( If I can find someone good enough to do it for me) and will post a photo up then.
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjs2 View Post
    I had my left ear pierced twice in 1972.Still got the originals in today.
    I got my ear pierced in the late 1970's as well, under interesting circumstances. My mum and dad's elderly neighbour was one of those ladies who would just not accept old age, in her mid 80's she was the life of the party. Think I heard the best ever dirty jokes come from her over the years. Well one day we were chatting over a cuppa, a group of us, and she made some remark about getting my ear pierced, so I dared her " I will if you will". So we got in the car, drove into town to the local pharmacy, and I am sure the pharmacist had not seen anything like it. Me at around 18 years old and a 'granny' in her 80's asking to get our ears pierced. He was probably wondering what mushrooms we had found in the bottom paddock.

I still have mine ear pierced and it now has a 1/2 carat diamond stud in it, thanks to mum and dad (present). So my ear stud has personal significance for me, as it reminds me of the greatest 'old lady' who I knew growing up (may she rest in peace), who was simply the best Dame. Then having my mum and dad give me the diamond stud, gives it even more meaning.

As an aside, one day several years later, I was visiting my mum and dad and I am an early riser, so I was up about 5.30am and happened to look out the kitchen window to see said 'old lady' out the front of her house, in her dressing gown. No idea what she was doing, but as a car drove up the street, I gave her the biggest wolf whistle out the window. Well she hid behind a tree and when she thought the car had gone, dashed back inside. Later that day she popped over for a cuppa and made mention of said whistle, to which I told her "oh that was not the people in the car, that was my Dad out the kitchen window". When dad turned up from wherever he had been, he got the biggest ear bashing from her. We still giggle about this story to today.

She had three husbands throughout her life and when she told people and they asked what happened, did she divorce or did they pass-away, her answer was usually 'oh honey, they passed away, god love em', which usually meant people would inevitably ask how they died etc with the usual 'cancer, heart problems', she would reply 'oh sweety no! Have you not seen the size of my boobs, they could not keep up with me and I just wore em out'. Her outlook on life was refreshing.

So, whilst I chose 'don't care' as my poll choice, I truly understand the personal nature of tattoos, as Kirsty has stated, and think they can be wonderful when they have meaning and a story. Though the drunken night out ones, not so much.
    Last edited by ricktas; 12-12-2012 at 7:20am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieray View Post
    I don't have any, probably because I haven't found anything I wanted on me for life.........yet. 44 years.

I like some tats on some people, male and female. some are over the top, and some could get a better job at a pre school finger painting session. It all depends on who, where, what, and probably when, because what looks good when you are 18 may not look good when you are 60.
    Ray has summed up my feelings to the letter apart from to substitute 44 with 55.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with a good well executed tattoo. I do feel sorry however for many of the 17 and 18 year old girls I see with ugly tatts that will place them as of a certain age in the future. Unfortunately tatts do not age well, they spread and lose their sharpness and colour - this can be appropriate, however with the right subject. I recall seeing old chaps in their 70s and 80s with tattoos of busty topless girls on their arms. The tattoos had aged with them and were wrinkly and droopy
    Last edited by coolie21; 12-12-2012 at 9:05pm. Reason: Typo
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12