Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
Firstly, the No. (real serial) and NO. (fake serial) are different between the two plates too.
Secondly and more importantly, is where and why are/have CanonHK been getting their source bodies from.
The obvious answer would be returns and refurbs, but in reality how large is this 'returns' market?

Canon HK must surely have one of if not the largest volume of sales of any of the Canon importers networks, as it seems HK is the centre of the global universe when it comes to electronic consumer items(especially high priced stuff like cameras and such).
If the only source was these returned faulty cameras, then this problem, whilst serious, can't be that widespread, otherwise the implication would be that Canon camera bodies have a massive failure rate in percentage terms.
So the next question is; have Canon HK been modding real deal Canon cameras to hide them from the Canon sales figures for some reason?

I know that Canon have asked the HK distributor to cease supplying grey bodies to the HK grey retailers for the purpose of this massive Grey marketplace.
I'm sure I read that Nikon is in the midst of forcing strict regionalisation of it's distributor network too.. where US based companies are not allowed too sell to overseas markets.

Considering the volumes that Canon HK must surely be moving, it looks to be a ploy by the distributor to circumvent Canon's wishes.
And where there is one bad apples, it surely must follow that there is an entire orchard full of rotten apples and trees and their root systems .. I can imagine that the Nikon distributor had probably invented this marketing solution to maintain market position, but they weren't smart enough to patent the idea.

I'm sure action will be taken against Canon HK soon enough.
seems like a lot of agro to go to if you're only gonna re-badge one or two..getting those new labels made up wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world..not like nipping down to a local snap and having a few business cards knocked up

if they have gone to the trouble to do a con and risk a lot more than the odd refurbished body { which by the way they could have sold as refurb as Nikon do} then Id say the financial return would have to out weigh the potential fall out .....or they are just greedy stupid people