I have just come back from 6 days camping and did Uluru, Kata Tjuta(the Olgas), Kings Canyon and the West MacDonalds. It was a photographic tour so we went to the best spots at the best times. In two days that virtually gives you time to do Uluru and the Olgas. The Valley of the winds walk is a must. Suggest you jump onto the web and do some research. Couple of tips. Tripod a must especially for the sunrise and sunset shots. The light is fantastic. You will be there in the warmer months so carry plenty of water. Minimum of two litres per person. If you get a chance of doing Kings Canyon do it - it is fantastic. (that's where I needed the 2 litres. Over the next month of so I will be posting photos of my trip. Happy to provide you with more, just let me know. I carried a 10020mm lens, 16 to 85 and 70 to 300 as well as a 50mm prime. Most shots taken with the 16-85. If your into birdlife you will definitely need a longer lens. There is plenty to photograph.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. On tripods I used one all the time and was never challenged. However around Uluru there are a couple of sections you cant photograph but they are well marked.

- - - Updated - - -

PPS I just noticed you are Driving to Darwin. Stop and do Katherine George as well if you have time. There is a dinner cruise that will blow your mind. We did it. totally by accident.. its pricey but well worth it. Other than King's Canyon my wife says the boat trip was the highlight of our 3 weeks away.