After watching this video by Chase Jarvis ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc2nY6l5cGw )
I was absolutely fascinated by the results, the photos look incredible.

I was wondering how much power and what light size you actually needed. It seems like he used some kind of high end profoto pack with large square soft boxes (but they were far away).

I tried to reproduce it with speed lights for a dance performance. I had one person hold a flash on each side, slightly to the front with built-in diffuser. They were Nissin Di866 with Cactus triggers, set on manual. One of them was about 10m away and set on 1/2 power, the other was 5m away and on 1/8 power. I haven't taken them out of the camera yet, but I really liked the look of the pictures on the LCD at the back of it, it's quite dramatic. It didn't have the beautiful warmth of Chase's pictures though, but maybe I can partially work on it in post. The smaller light sources also make harsher shadows obviously.

If I remember correctly, I set the shutter at 1/250, and moved ISO / aperture between 400-800 / f2.8 - 4.0
The lens was the Tamron 24-70 on Canon crop body, which is equivalent to FF 38-112. I mostly used the 50mm focal length (80mm equiv)

Does anyone have experience on this kind of set up? The more I use strobes the more I find them absolutely fantastic.

I'll probably be processing and posting some the photos today or tomorrow.