Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I went out with the D800 attached to the 400/2.8VR + TC17EII, shooting 1/2500 f5.6-8 and it was soft on alot of static bird shots. This lens is pretty spot on when on my D3s or my previous D700, so the lens alighn is coming out for more testing. I'm almost certain its not the lens.
Mongo is a little shocked too at the results Wayne is getting from his 400 f2.8 on the D800. To Mongo’s knowledge, it is the sharpest lens even with a X2 converter and gives amazing results. If it is not performing well, it is either the D800 focus issues OR it simply does not perform as well on the D800 as it can on other bodies. Try focusing it manually on the D800 as a test as see what results you get.

The above is not surprising in many ways. While MOngo’s D800 is being repaired, he has reacquainted himself with his D200. Mongo is quite certain that his 300 f2.8 with X2 converter is much sharper on that body than it is on the D800 - disappointing but probably true. Mongo says this is not surprising as he believes the D800 will simply magnify any imperfections in any lens and bring them to the surface. If a lens looks great through a D800, then, it must be as good a lens as you can hope for. This has nothing to do with build quality or quality control or auto focus performance - it is simply another aspect of the D800 that Mongo thinks is true and worth mentioning.