Quote Originally Posted by sunny6teen View Post
this is a bit off topic...but I'm using an HP Pavilion dv7. had it for a couple of years but the monitor has never needed calibrating. or rather, the calibration software didn't see the need to change anything - and I can't complain because I can see everything from pure black to pure white on a strip.

my question is...is this typical of laptop screens these days? or HP?
just wondering because they use to be so awful. in the past I've always plugged it into an external monitor.

I dont think there is ever such a thing as a monitor that does not require calibration, all the way from a 5 grand Eizo or NEC professional monitor to a cheap monitor from MSY or a laptop monitor.

Its not just about what you see on the laptop monitor - which due to its size they are always cheap TN panel types - its how the photos print later which 'should' be as it seems on the monitor. Even though there are some higher end laptops which has an Adobe RGB colour gamut, it is still no substitute for a decent to good external monitor. Do you do a lot of printing for yourself or clients?