Yep, I've tried every single one of those at some point in the past (actually not the nude yet, but it's on the radar)

I'm hoping the article was really intended as a curious observation of the most commonly taken photographs, but instead it has come across as unnecessarily derogatory (a bit of food on a child's face is "replusiveness"...really?). They're not so much cliche's as just the most common types of photographs to take. Why? Sometimes because they are good starting points for creative imagery, sometimes because they connect with the photographer, sometimes because they have been done to death and therefore are easily reproducible, accompanied by a few hundred online tutorials on how to do them.

I wouldn't say they are top 8 though. Probably the only 8 that the author could think of. The list could really be extended. I want to add to the list too, but I'm not calling them cliche's. I'm just saying that these are styles of photographs that seem to occur more often than others.

1. Abandoned wooden boat / dead tree / rocky outcrop / on a waterfront in front of a heavy-handed HDR landscape
2. Macros of eyelashes (always seems to be a winner in the Canon Photo5 comp)
3. Flower close-ups (macro or not)
4. Panoramas (unfortunately often without any foreground)
5. etc etc

(I'm referring to actual attempts of creative photography here, not just normal snaps that people take).

I like Xebadir's photo above. Maybe that can be a challenge for forum members here, to take one of the cliches above and produce something truly unique?