I agree with others here that copying ideas is a good way to learn and it can be quite satisfying to create your own lush-waterfall-with-mossy-rocks-and-milky-water shots and other common photographic topics. For me though, the fun is in trying to find something new within the constraints of the fact that everything has been done. I've seen lots of great long exposure waterfall shots and it's not often I see a really good one, so I don't tend to seek them out or do them myself. Likewise with the over-saturated sea shore sunrise/sunset/stormcloud with rocks in the foreground. I just don't see any particular reason for me to rehash what has already been done so well, so many times before. If I want to see great beach shots, I can buy books of them, or spend time on Flickr or other photo sharing sites.

There are people here and no doubt on other sites like this one, some of whom have clearly outstanding skill, who seem to just keep taking the same photo over and over again. Obviously people have their reasons for doing this, but I don't understand the appeal. On the other hand, I see a bit of stuff from time to time that puts a new twist on an old theme and this is much more fun to view for me. It's not like it has to be oh-my-god-completely-fresh-and-oh-so-original or anything, but an honest attempt to see a familiar thing from a slightly different perspective is what makes for enjoyable music, writing and most other creative pursuits I find.

I think this is why some of the most interesting work I see here and elsewhere is done by beginners - because it's done before they start learning how it's done.