Having just been to the Medieval Tournament and being struck with a serious case of camera-envy, the last thing I needed was for someone to come to my work today sporting a Nikon D3. I saw a couple of people with cameras that were this kind of shape (square'ish rather than rectangular) at the Tournament and I really like the way they look.

After googling the D3, I've accepted that there is no way I can justify spending 4k+ on something that I just don't have the talent / expertise to use. I have a perfectly fine Canon 350D, but it's getting on now and as I said before, I'm suffering terribly with camera-envy. I definitely need to learn and practice more before I get something new, but I'd like to have something to think about.

So, what would you recommend in the way of this more square body shape? Can you get something like that for less money? Preferably Canon, since what I save using the lenses I already have, I can spend on different ones.

I don't have dreams of becoming pro, but I'd definitely like to "grow up" photographically.