Hi Guys,
I generally don't do much shooting of surfing events or that sort of thing, but something made my eyes pop when I saw this system developing, very very large waves may bring out some really keen surfers and a somewhat different photographic opportunity. Not being familiar with the break at Bell's I am not sure what sort of focal length is needed to get the best out of it, but it seems like it may well be worth it. See the paper writeup here:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hu...708-1h5mn.html

They are talking a break of 4m at Bells through Sat, Sun and Monday. Now the only catch is that is its going to be about 13 degree surface temperatures, and 13 degree water temperatures, and I am not sure if this will put the surfies off, given also somewhat onshore winds (around 45-60km/hr). The other point of interest is potentially 10m waves off the Twelve apostles and the shipwreck coast which may give an opportunity to get some really spectacular break shots if you can get good enough lighting. Anyway, I am half considering making a trek down there to see what I can find depending on the light situation. Not sure anyone will be interested but even if it isn't a meet up it may be worth a look.
Cheers
John