My cousin just turned 18 and the "glamour" of photography has just revealed itself to her. She's putting the hard word on her "daddy" to buy her a fancy camera so she can be the photographer of her dreams. He's keen to buy her something, but at the same time very wary of her previous fixations on things. He's purchased tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment for various things and she's never stuck at anything for more than a month or so. He's voiced his concern to me that he doesn't want to buy her something extraordinary for it to just sit in the cupboard.

And so my learned friends, I come to you. What are your suggestions? She knows absolutely nothing about photography and is likely to leave it permanently on automatic when she does get it out. I have a Canon 350D which is quite a few years old but has always been fantastic to me. I've been reading about these EVIL cameras and am wondering if they're a cheaper option? I'm pretty sure she just wants to look the part, rather than make photography a craft, but to each their own. So I thought if their bodies are cheaper (quality doesn't matter much), and she can swap around lenses to look like she knows what she's doing, I'm certain she'll be happy.